Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Perhaps you should read the forum guidelines about political content.

Restricted Content
Politics 
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
 Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

I'm new to the forum and had to chuckle that the first five points are considered "politics" - I can easily see why they are not allowed (highly divisive), but it's funny that they would be included in the list with "Government" and "Gun Control." :)

On 7/3/2019 at 7:41 AM, rowdyb said:

For example, using only one tool head and having to change from small to large primer it takes me 2 hours to change from say 9mm to 45acp on my 1050. Take careful and thorough notes and setting things gets easier and faster. It's like anything mechanical, if you're in a rush you will pay for it.

Working off of a single toolhead is not a fair comparison of caliber exchanges between machines. 

With a dedicated toolhead for each caliber, exchanges are pretty straightforward. I have just purchased a 1050 a few weeks back and it was my first progressive machine (I've had a single stage for several months, so I am new to reloading). It was set up for 9mm because I had dies for .40 and Dillon wouldn't sell it "vanilla" (there was a way to get the bare bones, but it was missing too many parts that I didn't know enough about). Sure, it took time to convert it to .40 with having to set up all the dies, but once set up, the exchange is now fast - I have just recently purchased another toolhead for another caliber and it was pretty quick to exchange the shell plate, swap the toolhead and the few simple parts such as collators (case feeder, MBF). 

So, as a new reloader, I wouldn't put too much weight on "difficult caliber exchange." Cost and initial setup are a consideration, though. 

2 hours ago, IVC said:

difficult caliber exchange

I don't think 2 hours is that long to then have a machine from zero go from mass producing one caliber to a totally different one with different primers. When I had separate tool heads it was 45 minutes start to finish.

21 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Perhaps you should read the forum guidelines about political content.

Restricted Content
Politics 
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
 Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

I suppose I should.

I never expected to find myself on a gun forum that restricts content on the 2nd Amendment and such.

Understandable about the competitive shooting arguments, though.

1 hour ago, DubfromGA said:

I suppose I should.

I never expected to find myself on a gun forum that restricts content on the 2nd Amendment and such.

Understandable about the competitive shooting arguments, though.

This is not a gun forum...it is a shooting forum. 

Intent
This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. 

Political discussions, whether you feel that your cause is just or unjust, detracts from the actual forum intent. As a privately owned forum, the owner (Brian), sets the rules. 

21 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I don't think 2 hours is that long to then have a machine from zero go from mass producing one caliber to a totally different one with different primers. When I had separate tool heads it was 45 minutes start to finish.

Not at all - 2 hours is pretty fast to set it up from scratch, particularly since it requires rigorous QC before you move it to "full production" mode. 

What I was saying is that it's not a fair comparison for "caliber exchange difference between platforms" since caliber exchange usually implies preset components and considers just the time to swap the critical parts. Toolhead on 1050 is held by a single large nut (and a few auxiliary pins/ratchet that must be disconnected) and after removing the toolhead, the shellplate is readily accessible. Add a few minor parts that must be loosened or pushed out of the way, it's still a pretty straightforward exercise. 

If you started from scratch on any other platform, including Lock'n Load, you would also have much longer overall setup time and, actually, 1050 would look even better - if you spend 2 hours adjusting the dies, you'd have (2 hrs + 5 min) vs. (2 hrs + 20 min), which is much smaller difference than just 5 min vs. 20 min. 

Just because of swaging and .223 rounds I'd go with the 1050.

As others have said I'd load up on one caliber before switching to the next. Heck, 8K rounds is about 8 hours taking it easy on the 1050 and you can spread it over a few weekends.