Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rcbs .223 Comp Seat Die With Rl550b?

Anyone know if you can use an RCBS .223 Comp Seating Die in a 550?

I believe I read that RCBS says this die is not for "progressive presses".

If this die cannot be used what dies work best, Dillon Steel, Dillon Carbide, other?

Thank you.

I use the Redding Comp Seater for .223... works great.

With the RCBS, I'm sure  you could still use it, probably just have to go a little slower, maybe it's not as belled?

Why would a bottle-neck rifle die need significant belling? The case mouth is already teeny compared to the die opening. But what other reason would there be not to use it in a progressive. Weird. I use the Redding Comp. seating die as well with nary a problem.

Why would a bottle-neck rifle die need significant belling?

John, I though that some of the dies have a little more belling to postition the case easier if they're not aligned as well on a progressive?

I have seen things written that some dies aren't meant for 'progressive' presses, that's the only reason I could ever think of... old wives/husbands tale?

DanHits

If I am not mistaken, you have to use a extended shell holder for the RCBS Comp die. I use won on my single stage press. I use the Reddings on both my 650 & 550 presses in rifle & pistol with very good results.

I just went out to my loading room to see if the RCBS would work and it does not work on my 550. It might work if you could get a longer seating stem.

Thanks for info everyone. I already hace a Redding Comp Seating Die so I will try that for now. I wasn't sure but I thought I read that the RCBS Comp Seating Die wasn't for progressives and I also thought I remember that the 500 shell plate needs to have a little wiggle room for the multiple cases on the shell plate. Thanks again.