Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longshot/ Power Pistol

stingerjg

On monday I went to the range w/ a few buddies. We are trying to find some alternate powders for our 38SC. Most of us are currently using 7625, N340 or 540. I myself am using the N340. I really like the way it shoots but its so damn expensive.

With both the Power Pistol and the Longshot we were using 124gr Zero JHP, Starline 38SC brass, win small rifle primers. All of us had 5.5" barrels but of different manufactures.

The chron data is from my gun w/ a Schumann 1-32 twist 5.5" barrel, Brazos comp.

Longshot data:

7.7gr, 1.245"Oal

1350, 1361, 1384, 1371, 1381

Avg 1365

169.26PF

Power Pistol

7.3gr, 1.245" Oal

1377, 1369, 1352, 1354, 1351

Avg 1361

168.76PF

I really couldnt tell the differnce between either load and my N340 load. They both seemed to have the same amount of muzzle rise. The dot on the Power Pistol load seemed to drift to the left during recoil. The dot on the Longshot load just made small circles and then came back on the target. The Longshot seems to burn a bit cleaner so ill prob go w/ that powder when my N340 runs out.

I use power pistol with my .38 SC and 125 gr JHP zero bullets and it works well. I have a Bedell shorty with no blow holes and I use 7.9 gr of power pistol with WSP primers OAL 1.250. I get an average PF of about 169.

There is a bit of that residue but not much probably because I don't have any blowholes.

• 3 weeks later...
With Power Pistol are you seeing a lot of residue?  When I was using it with my major 9 loads a pinkish film covered my C-MORE.  It needed to be wiped off every 20-50 rounds.

i shoot a 4 port hybrid with power pistol(from time to time)

i noticed the pinkish-purple residue between the hybrid ports...kinda odd, but nothing i need to worry about.

i was loading 7.5-7.6 grains with a 124 grain hornady and 8.0 with 115 MG jhp.

the load is probably about 2x louder than the 7625 loads.

the power pistol seems to shoot good, and is cheap and easy to load.

havent tried longshot in the super, but shot some in a minor power 9mm load in the glock...i can only imagine how loud it is in a comp gun!!

BTW i use federal primers, they seem to give a touch more velocity than wsr.

probably gonna be switching to zero .356 bullets soon, for some reason i get some bullet yaw when using .355 dia bullets.

I dont know if this is due to the slow 1/32 twist, or slightly undersized bullets or what.

the barrel isnt worn too bad, not bad enough to cause a tumbling bullet anyway...

in a way, power pistol felt like a cheap replacement for VV3n37, still has the flameballs, shoots about the same, but has a touch more felt recoil.