Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup And Heat Transfer To Barrel

mcb

I don't think this is a big issue but I want to confirm my observations. You guys help me work up a 40 S&W load using titegroup here recently and I noticed something in the testing of those reloads. The load dump a lot of heat into my gun. Starting with a cold gun I can quickly shoot two magazines of Remington UMC (what I had been using before reloading) though the gun and the barrel gets warm to the touch. If I start with a cold gun and quickly shoot two magazine of my reloads and the barrel is noticeble hotter than the UMC.

Both loads make about the same PF my reloads average 172 and the UMC average about 179 out of my gun. Have you guys notice that Titegroup and other really fast powders heat up your gun. It this something to be concerned about? My load seems resonable. 4.5 grain titegroup, 180 grain RS Berry's, Federal Primers, OAL 1.125.

The last match I shot with factory ammunition had a stage that if shot clean would taken 60 rounds I did it in 65 and my XD was hot, I couldn't imagine how hot it would have gotten with titegroup reloads.

Just curious your thoughts

mcb

My Glock 34 gets pretty hot with my titegroup reloads, but I thought that's just cause I was shooting too much :ph34r:

I would guess that titegroup is a faster and thus hotter burning powder than the factory loads. I suppose this could make your gun hotter. But, I'm just guessing...

I noticed the same thing with a 625 Revolver. After shooting a 30 round field course in 85 degree weather, the barrel would burn your hand.

It also left a hard "caked" deposti on the frame.

I've since switched to Clays in my 625 and while it gets hot, it doesn't seem to sizzle like the Titegroup did.

I noticed my 1911 .45 acp would get pretty hot after a long practice session also. But the deposits don't seem as big of a problem.

Don't have a .40 so can't say anything on it.

Confirmed. In my Standard IPSC .40, I used TG @ 167 PF then switched to N320 @ 167 and both at same OAL; bullet was zero 180 jhp.

TG got the barrel hot enough to burn my forearm after a long field course w/ a bunch of steel (maybe 34 to 40 rounds w/ all the stupid mikes).

N320 noticeably cooler.

Another difference?

TG = 37% Nitro + 63% Nitrocellulose. (double base)

N320 = 100% Nitrocellulose (single base).

Related? I believe so.

Regards,

D.

I was experimenting with TiteGroup in my .45 and noticed that things got quite a bit hotter than with my Clays loads. The brass gets freakin' hot with TiteGroup! Ouch!!! :o I may drop it for the heat alone, since other powders can do the job at cooler temperatures. I've got some test loads with some single-based powders (VV 310 and 320) to try out this weekend.

Thanks guys I just wanted to make sure I was not on crack. Maybe I will look into trying some other powders once I burn this pound of Titegroup up. Any suggestions for a powder I could use in both 40S&W and 45ACP.

Thanks

mcb