Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12.5 in 5.45x39 question

1911vm

I was considering to have my 16in 5.45x 39 cutdown to 12.5. or buy a 12.5 barrel . I was told that 5.45 x 39  with a short barrel does not function well and terribly inaccurate. Any information would be great. Thanks

ask these people if they ever  ACTUALLY shot a short bbl

i had 2

the only 11.5 ever factory done, from Earnie Langdon. (designed the gun for s&w)

a 16" cut down by a master gun smith   (Defensive Creations - Alliance Ohio)   Dave Laubert

probably   ran 4-5000 rds thru it with a knights :can & a surefire.    just put  out in the corner with all of the other lonley neglected  guns i have

never a burp

jjw

Edited by jjw

On 2/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, 1911vm said:

I was considering to have my 16in 5.45x 39 cutdown to 12.5. or buy a 12.5 barrel . I was told that 5.45 x 39  with a short barrel does not function well and terribly inaccurate. Any information would be great. Thanks

Considering the short guy AK's that were designed to fire the round have an 8.1" barrel, I'm guessing it's probably going to be okay if you have the correct twist.

31 minutes ago, jjw said:

ask these people if they ever  ACTUALLY shot a short bbl

i had 2

the only 11.5 ever factory done, from Earnie Langdon. (designed the gun for s&w)

a 16" cut down by a master gun smith   (Defensive Creations - Alliance Ohio)   Dave Laubert

probably   ran 4-5000 rds thru it with a knights :can & a surefire.    just put  out in the corner with all of the other loney neglected  guns i have

never a burp

jjw

thank you much for the info.  do i need a master gunsmith to cut a barrel down ?

20 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

thank you much for the info.  do i need a master gunsmith to cut a barrel down ?

i have never used any one 1 but Dave. he is a  master gun smith. also in the pistold  smith's guild.

the top 200 pistol smiths in the country.

he has cut 25 or 30 barrels of all kinds and size. never a bad 1.   i always threaded for cans. he did that also perfectly

many gun smith have said its evil  work and wont attempt. give him a call.  i am in akron he will know me.

if u do it rest easy. he aint' cheap but neither are Rolex''s  or  Randall knives, BUT they always work

\jjw

best of luck