Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert A Svi 38 Super Mag To Run 40 S&w

Adam B

Is it possible to convert a SVI 38 super mag to run 40 S&W? In converting I mean modifying the feed lips? Or am I just wasting my time. I have 4-126mm mags that I dont have much use for and would like to use them in my limited setup if it is possible to make them run 40 S&W.

My super mags would run 40s just as they were, but depending on yours you may have to open the lips a few thousants, but mag cap. is a lot lwr due to the deeper ridges in a super mag. I would think a 126 super mag wont hold but 12 or 13 40s.-------Larry

Much better to sell them to a 38super/supercomp shooter and buy 40 mags. Your reliability will be a lot better and you should get several more rounds in the 40 mag because they're wider inside than a 38 mag.

The calibers stack up different in the mags, there's a different internal width for 45 and 40 and 38cal. The ridges in the side of the mag are different for that reason.

Caspian Hicaps with no ridges were made for 38super all along. When Para and STI made their 38super mags with the deep ridges and same internal width as the Caspian, they all stacked up the cartridges the same.

Related, only reversed. I tried some 38 super ammo in my STI for Para .40 mags and they seemed to fit well. Has anyone had any luck in using them? I'd try it on mine, but I haven't picked up my new 38 super from my FFL yet.