Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power XCalibur Recoil Springs

taters613

I just recently purchased a Grand Power XCalibur Mk12.  It appears that there are only two types of recoil springs available on the Eagle Imports site: a "Light" spring (black, cylindrical-wire style spring), and what I imagine is the "Regular" or "Heavy" weight spring (red, flat-wire style spring).  I've got the following questions:

1. Which of these two springs is appropriate for typical factory/range ammo (i.e. not +p or +p+)?
  2. I would be interested in experimenting with a wider range of spring weights, but it seems eagle imports only provides two.  Is there another type of spring that will work well with the XCalibur?  For example, will springs for a full size 1911 work?
  3. In general, in terms of extending the lifespan of your firearm, is it "best practice" to use the heaviest possible spring that will still reliably cycle a particular type of ammunition?  My impression is that this is the case, since it will prevent frame battering...however, is it also the case that using an unnecessarily heavy spring will cause damage/increased wear due to the fact that the slide is slamming back into battery with an excessive amount of force?  Or is this just nonsense?

Thanks in advance for the help y'all. And by the way: My initial impressions XCalibur are incredibly positive.  I am just over-the-top impressed with this gun, and I'd recommend to just about anyone.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, Stmark73 said:

A CZ75 recoil apring will work. You just have to cut coils to prevent stacking/binding. I use a 13# recoil spring cut to length for my milled slide with dpp pro. 

thank you, 

Mark Santos

Hey Mark,

Are you just matching the length of your current Grand Power spring? Or is there a certain number of coils you removed?

Can't remember how many coils I cut, I just made sure the coils were not stacking. I'll try to look for my old original black spring and compare it to my cut cz recoil spring. I'll count the coils as well. Will let you now later.

Thank you,

Mark Santos 

On 3/12/2021 at 10:02 AM, matteekay said:

Hey Mark,

Are you just matching the length of your current Grand Power spring? Or is there a certain number of coils you removed?

I cut 4 coil off the cz75 spring. It does not bind when removing the slide. You can also cut it the same length as the OE spring just make sure the OE spring is not collapsed. 

I just left my cz75 recoil spring longer because I want it pre loaded. With the shorter original spring, the slide has the tendency to cock the hammer to the first notch when holstering. 

The OE coils are spaced much wider compared to the cz 75 spring, so counting coils won't work.

Thank you,

Mark Santos

10 hours ago, Stmark73 said:

I cut 4 coil off the cz75 spring. It does not bind when removing the slide. You can also cut it the same length as the OE spring just make sure the OE spring is not collapsed. 

I just left my cz75 recoil spring longer because I want it pre loaded. With the shorter original spring, the slide has the tendency to cock the hammer to the first notch when holstering. 

The OE coils are spaced much wider compared to the cz 75 spring, so counting coils won't work.

Thank you,

Mark Santos

Thank you, Mark! Really appreciate it.