Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 mag catch recommendations

vgdvc

Hello shooters. So I got over zealous on removing material from the left side of my magazine catch in an attempt for it to clear certain magazines better. Well I did what I told myself not to do and that was go beyond the rim that keeps it from sliding all the way through the frame. Does anyone have recommendations on brand and type to use for a replacement on a standard 2011 plastic frame  .38 Super Open pistol? Thanks in advance

15 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I’m using a Dawson. It’s a high quality part imo. I have plastic grip on both of mine and use a mix of sti, sps, and mbx mags. All work great. 

I appreciate the responses. Under closer inspection of my grip it seems as if the round hole has become somewhat ovaled from wear creating much less opportunity for that small rim on the magcatch to rest on the inside of the grip. I put a little heat with a heat gun on that area of the grip frame and gently tapped with a nylon mallet to return it to round. For those who mentioned the Dawson part does it seem like it has at least as much surface or more than o.e.m on that outside diameter to create a substantial ledge and catch on the inside of the grip? Thanks

23 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

I appreciate the responses. Under closer inspection of my grip it seems as if the round hole has become somewhat ovaled from wear creating much less opportunity for that small rim on the magcatch to rest on the inside of the grip. I put a little heat with a heat gun on that area of the grip frame and gently tapped with a nylon mallet to return it to round. For those who mentioned the Dawson part does it seem like it has at least as much surface or more than o.e.m on that outside diameter to create a substantial ledge and catch on the inside of the grip? Thanks

It has more of a surface then my factory one did. I almost thought I’d have to take a little off, but I didn’t and it worked great. 

8 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

It has more of a surface then my factory one did. I almost thought I’d have to take a little off, but I didn’t and it worked great. 

Thanks for the input that does help me decide to get one