Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Club taxes

rustychev

How is everyone's club handling income from entry fees and taxes.  After reading the latest front sight my MD has gotten a little worried.  Up to this point we have done a all cash operation and he uses a separate checking account for the money but it is tied to his SSN and a credit card.  We have no tax lic and are not paying tax.  This is what had kept us from taking online payment.

Is everyone running a LLC?  I dont what to have a business in my name for liability reasons.  A 501c3 looks like a lot of work.  We only net a few hundred a year after rang fees and targets and steel.  So paying tax would not be the end of the world.  

19 minutes ago, rustychev said:

How is everyone's club handling income from entry fees and taxes.  After reading the latest front sight my MD has gotten a little worried.  Up to this point we have done a all cash operation and he uses a separate checking account for the money but it is tied to his SSN and a credit card.  We have no tax lic and are not paying tax.  This is what had kept us from taking online payment.

Is everyone running a LLC?  I dont what to have a business in my name for liability reasons.  A 501c3 looks like a lot of work.  We only net a few hundred a year after rang fees and targets and steel.  So paying tax would not be the end of the world.  

I would have just kept it on the down low personally. All the clubs around me are actually gun clubs that let us shoot USPSA monthly. Money gets turned in monthly and the accountant does his thing every year.

We are a non profit. I collect match fees. Pay out the uspsa fee and then cover expenses.  After that I turn money into the club until end of year.  For uspsa we operate well into the black so if I want something I just ask.  The major purchase this year was steel to make 100  target stands. Last year was wall stands. 

59 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

We are a non profit. I collect match fees. Pay out the uspsa fee and then cover expenses.  After that I turn money into the club until end of year.  For uspsa we operate well into the black so if I want something I just ask.  The major purchase this year was steel to make 100  target stands. Last year was wall stands. 

When you say we are you talking the USPSA club or the host range as well?

We are on rental terms with our range.  They dont love us but also dont hate us and wont give us the boot because our per head fee brings in about 25% of the cash flow they get for the year but we are on our own past that relationship.  We are now looking for form a non profit of our own.