Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expected DA Trigger Pull

309jdj

Going to try revolver shooting the year and I just purchased a new 627PC for shooting steel matches. Ive read tons of good information on this forum already. The question I still have is what would be expected DA trigger pull weight with the stock spurred hammer without lightening it? Could you still get in the 6.5 to 7lb range? Most of the information I read is using a lighter hammer or they don't mention in the thread one way or the other.

Thanks!

Picked up a 929 2 years ago, had a local smith clean up and polish the internal parts and got a 7.5 to 8 lb trigger pull, with adjustment to the strain screw got it down to 6.5 lb. But you have to use well seated federal primers 8 to 10 thousands below flush

I use a stock spurred hammer, wolf 11# rebound spring, c&s or apex extended firing pin, factory main spring bent to give 40+ ounces hammer weight and polished factory trigger/hammer/rebound  block for a 5.5# action in my 627 and a 625.  Haven't had any misfires in years, with Federal Primers.

On my EDC/IDPA 325 Thunder Ranch I used a spurless hammer and all of the above parts/procedures except a 14# reboun d spring and a hammer fall of 56+ ounces for 7# action, never had a misfire with all ammo.

Edited by pskys2

Every revolver's factory internals have variation. Because of that the DA pull for reliability with OEM internals will depend on what level of attention you give it and what primer brand you intend to use. With just some surface smoothing on the frame and hammer/trigger rotational areas and rebound/mainspring spring changes 7-1/2 lbs is very realistic to set off most primers including magnums. Now add stoning all surfaces, smoothing cylinder rotation drag (straighten yoke, smooth yoke spindle & ratchet thrust face and breech face),  eliminating Hammer & trigger drag, bobbing the hammer, and extended firing pin like the Apex can get you 6-3/4lbs realistically with most primers, (CCI magnums may be iffy). Or with the same work you can go realistically to 6lbs and use Federals for 100% reliability. I personally dont like going below 6lbs DA as I feel the further reduced rebound spring tension required to do so makes rebound lazy and you lose the feedback to your finger.