Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Q5 vs standard 5” PPQ slide weights.

MemphisMechanic

I broke the scale out today. This is interesting...

957153A6-EEB1-4226-AEFD-5DB61A14D116.thumb.jpeg.2196d36a6c7161a7cc5a8484704dc9a6.jpeg

No wonder the “lightened” slide of my Q5 always felt slightly softer, yet slightly flippier than a standard 5” PPQ does.

Difference in mass is only 5.4% but it isn’t in the direction that you’d expect. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

36 minutes ago, Honeybooboo said:

Isn’t there an actual standard 5” PPQ too without any slide cuts?

Yes. Doesn’t have the six ports.

I’d be shocked if it doesn’t have even more internal milling to keep it roughly the same weight.

The engineers know how much  slide mass they need for optimum reliability (slide speed) without the gun beating itself to death because it’s plowing right through the recoil spring and battering the locking block.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Yes. Doesn’t have the six ports.

I’d be shocked if it doesn’t have even more internal milling to keep it roughly the same weight.

The engineers know how much  slide mass they need for optimum reliability (slide speed) without the gun beating itself to death because it’s plowing right through the recoil spring and battering the locking block.

This. People seem to forget this.

The interesting questions then would be as to why they made the Q5 Match have a heavier slide in a gun that will probably be shooting lighter loads.