Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot True Blue

revchuck

Folks - In my search for the ultimate .38 Special non +P IDPA load, I've been checking out different websites for powders which may be able to do this. Ramshot's True Blue seems to be a possibility. How does it work for low pressure (<17k psi) loads in terms of consistent velocities and clean burning?

TIA!

Chuck - Thanks! I did as you suggested, but the discussions all centered around high pressure loads in 9mm Major and .38 Super. I'm trying to go in the other direction. ;)

FWIW - Gun show today. I'm going to try to pick up a can each of True Blue and 4756, maybe PB as well, based on how they (4756 and PB) did in the Speer #13 manual. I'm also going to try Longshot, reducing the load from Hodgdon's +P data.

Chuck - Thanks!  I did as you suggested, but the discussions all centered around high pressure loads in 9mm Major and .38 Super.  I'm trying to go in the other direction. ;)

Oops, I forgot that most of the guys here are USPSA/IPSC.

I guess you want a wuss load. :rolleyes:

I did find something rather obvious, though: Ramshot Load Data! :mellow:

From Cowboy loading data:

38 Special 4.0" BBL

Bullet Weight Powder Grains OAL Primer Velocity

125 Burgess RNFP True Blue 4.0 1.435" WSP 744 fps

148 Rushmore RNFP True Blue 3.7 1.455" WSP 744 fps

158 Burgess RNFP True Blue 4.0 1.425" WSP 772 fps

Read the warnings on the page. The loads above are MINIMUM loads (do not go lower!)

There is other load data there also.

Chuck - Thanks! I already had the Ramshot data page bookmarked.

What I'm trying to do is come up with a .38 Special IDPA 130 PF load from a four inch barrel that isn't +P. So far I haven't been able to, using current available data for the powders I have on hand (Titegroup, Bullseye, Unique and Longshot). 17K PSI is the beginning of +P data. True Blue looks like the most likely suspect from Ramshot.

Doug - N100's max load goes 898 fps from an 8-3/8" barrel. I don't think I could get 830 fps from a four incher. Thanks, though.

Flex - I know about Bill - dedicated IDPA SSR shooters aren't too numerous, and one who consistently whupped up on moonclipped 625s Masters with a three inch M10 is easy to remember. :)

Bill's load, IIRC, was four grains of Bullseye under a 158 grain plated RN. That's over the current max for +P, and he credits that load with the demise of his M10. I've got a barely-used four pound container of Bullseye I would love to use up, but not if I have to go over current +P data. I could use it in my .357s, but I prefer to shoot .357 ammo in them. I might do that anyway, at least until the Bullseye is gone...

I want to use my .38s for IDPA, and I want them to stick around for a while, even though I have three four inch .38s I could rotate. That's the whole point of the standard-pressure-130-PF-load exercise. Plus, I was just curious if it was feasible.

I got some 231 and 4756 at the gun show today, and have a line on a shop that supposedly stocks about every powder made that's not Finnish. :D I'll hopefully get some PB, 7625 and True Blue and then I'll commence to begin.

My load was four point seven grains of Bullseye over a 147 grain plated or FMJ 9mm bullet. Got the load from a 15 year old Speer book. :o Some brands of brass made power factor better than others. No signs of pressure but my gun needed rebuilt after 50,000 rounds or so. I have been playing with 200 LRN bullets recently but haven't decided on a load yet.

I'm also still looking for a heavy bullet major 38 super load. :huh:

I may just shoot ESR with my .45. ;)

Bill Nesbitt

I have been playing with 200 LRN bullets recently but haven't decided on a load yet.
Two grains of talcum powder oughta work. ;) I guess you'll have to go to an adjustable sight gun for that load.

Thanks for the correction on the load. My memory was the second thing that went...I forget what the first was...

Was it 50,000 rounds of that load, or just 50,000 rounds, that required the gun to be rebuilt? Now I'm wondering if I'm making much ado about nothing. I've got two M10s that were basically unfired when I got them, plus the M67 that I've got about 8,000 rounds through, plus that Official Police - plus five .357s. In theory, I could go a long time. :wacko: