Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Buffer Tube - Need High Quality?

I'm switching back to a carbine buffer tube on my PCC rifle...  Grabbed a Joe Bobs Mil-Spec buffer tube that I had laying around and it works fine...  so far...  I have the bolt short stroked and am wondering if the extra pounding on the receiver extension will cause it to fail over time?

Is a higher quality receiver extension required?  What would a higher quality buffer tube be?  Better grade of aluminum maybe?  Any specific brands?

On 1/18/2019 at 2:32 PM, HoMiE said:

I’ve had good luck running bcm 6-position 7075   receiver extension

I prefer the 7075 as well. Currently using ALG Defense brand because  Brownells had them on sale. Other folks make them as well. 

That said, my AR came from S&W with a 6061  receiver extension and it hasnt been a problem. I just like the stronger alloy. Makes me feel better. 

The extension tube is probably the weakest design point in the AR, bearing in mind that it was originally intended to be protected inside a solid stock, and not to be the stock itself.  I suspect that as long as you're just using it as a game gun, you'll be fine.  Now, if you're kicking in doors and using it as a war hammer... I'd choose the extension carefully.  I've got a VLTOR A5 extension on my rimfire rifle that is excellent quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a PCC, including one that I trusted to protect my life and my family's lives.  What is currently on my PCC?  A probably decade-old ACE SOCOM rifle length stock (not ACE-Doublestar, as this was before Doublestar even bought them) and it was literally designed to withstand the impact of a door breach.  As in, the stock of the gun is intended to be used as a battering ram.  It started off on my .223 that no longer exists but went through three uppers before I retired that receiver, and it is now on my PCC that will have it's 3rd upper soon and maybe a 4th already inbound after that.  This stock will outlive me.  Yes, it's heavy, and I like that because it balances the gun better.  I honestly don't know why these stocks never took off on the market more.  I swear by it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Edited by jkrispies
14 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec-Receiver-Extension-Buffer-Tube-p/bcm-milspec-re.htm

Is this the one you're talking about?

Looks like some forum adware linked your 'receiver extension' text to a Colt receiver extension...

FYI, as far as I can tell, BCM and Vltor extension tubes are the same thing.

Edited by jkrispies
38 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec-Receiver-Extension-Buffer-Tube-p/bcm-milspec-re.htm

Is this the one you're talking about?

Looks like some forum adware linked your 'receiver extension' text to a Colt receiver extension...

The one you linked is what I run. 

I cant help the links that the viglink does automatically so our host can try and make some ad revenue. 

16 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Sorry I was thinking specifically of the A5 tube.  I haven’t seen them sise by sude, but I think it’s a similar situation to the charging handles where BCM and Vltor are the same thing.  Just a guess but I think it’s a safe one.  

I'd guess you're right. I didn't even realize BCM had an A5 style option until they went on sale at Primary Arms a few weeks ago and I actually read the product description. But yeah, I noticed that Vltor still stocks the last gen Mod 4 ambidextrous charging handles that were co-branded with BCM. I'm not a fan of the latest BCM version so I did look for those.

I've been seriously considering those PWS buffer tubes myself. 7075 T-6, detent lock, anti-tilt lip is supposed to provide smoother cycling, fluted design looks awesome & comes with a QD endplate & castle nut that fit together tightly enough to not require staking. A little pricey but all I've read were good reviews & damn they look good & the design will match my Midwest Industries blast can.https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Blast-Can-1-2-28-Thread-5-56-Caliber-p/mi-bc556.htm It's in my shopping cart on a few sites, just waiting to see if it ever drops enough in price to make me jump.