Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nill Grip question

Makicjf

https://shop.dominionhobby.com/products/sw016phg8

I'm thinking about investing in these, but hope someone has felt them.   I've put Hogue Tamers on all my revo's ( except the 1917, it has a modified pair of presentation grips).    I find the thickness of the Tamers coupled with the closed backstrap fill my hand very well. My grip strength is good, but due to a tendon injury my hand only closes about 95%: I need a fat grip to crush grip well.  The tamers do this, but squish, requiring more crush, and the backstrap compresses, allowing for gun movement no matter how hard I grip and lock out my wrists.   This Nill looks like similar to the Hogue in size and shape.   Has anyone handled them?

Jason

32 minutes ago, PatJones said:

They feel fine with a one handed bullseye type grip. They feel awkward holding them with 2 hands. They get fat at the bottom where you need to put your weak hand, it's not good.

Thank you, sir

Ive owned a few sets of Nill's. They are a quality grip but favor euro angles etc. Nill grips are usually larger than anyone else's. The palm swells are positioned slightly lower than say a Hogue or Pachmayr. That sets your hand lower from the boreline and I didn't like that. Also the closed back strap makes for a longer length of pull, it's tolerable on a  K/L frame but unmanageable on a N frame. Open back straps are a must with the larger heft! On the back strap, the curve on either the closed or open has a steeper angle towards the bottom for that Euro pistol angle feel. The 3 sets of Nill's I previously owned I majorly modified to feel right for me. I bought the Nills also because I wanted a fatter grip, but in all cases the fat was not in the right places. Since I tried my first wood Hogue Grip Ive never used anything else. I know it may be taken as I'm partial to the Hogue's...and I am but I shoot for them because I already used their grips not the other way around. 

The Wood Hogues are dimensionally bigger than the Overmolded varieties. They also put the bulk where its needed and maintain a higher grip position. I suggest to find someone with a set of wood Hogue's to handle before you buy the Nill to maybe save some money and have customer service that's not on another continent if something needs repairing or fitting etc.   

Edited by BallisticianX

15 minutes ago, BallisticianX said:

Ive owned a few sets of Nill's. They are a quality grip but favor euro angles etc. Nill grips are usually larger than anyone else's. The palm swells are positioned slightly lower than say a Hogue or Pachmayr. That sets your hand lower from the boreline and I didn't like that. Also the closed back strap makes for a longer length of pull, it's tolerable on a  K/L frame but unmanageable on a N frame. Open back straps are a must with the larger heft! On the back strap, the curve on either the closed or open has a steeper angle towards the bottom for that Euro pistol angle feel. The 3 sets of Nill's I previously owned I majorly modified to feel right for me. I bought the Nills also because I wanted a fatter grip, but in all cases the fat was not in the right places. Since I tried my first wood Hogue Grip Ive never used anything else. I know it may be taken as I'm partial to the Hogue's...and I am but I shoot for them because I already used their grips not the other way around. 

The Wood Hogues are dimensionally bigger than the Overmolded varieties. They also put the bulk where its needed and maintain a higher grip position. I suggest to find someone with a set of wood Hogue's to handle before you buy the Nill to maybe save some money and have customer service that's not on another continent if something needs repairing or fitting etc.   

I've found that the hogue tamers put my trigger finger in the right spot...I just feel the *squish* is allowing for movement I can't control.  My hope was a wooden set with a covered back strap , like the GP 100 match champion would create distance but not compress.

Does hogue have a wooden set that covers the back strap?

Jason

10 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I've found that the hogue tamers put my trigger finger in the right spot...I just feel the *squish* is allowing for movement I can't control.  My hope was a wooden set with a covered back strap , like the GP 100 match champion would create distance but not compress.

Does hogue have a wooden set that covers the back strap?

Jason

Hogue grips are all a monogrip 1 piece design that utilizes the grip sliding in from the top. So I dont think a closed backstrap is possible or without too thick of a backstrap resulting. I will look into that. Hogue does offer some custom shop work and might be able to figure something out. Send me a PM with details of what your looking to have as a finished product and I ll get a hold of Hogue to see what options they have for you.