Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy International Aw Or Ae? Input Needed.

Seery

Hello - I've been shooting 3-gun for a while and want to venture into long range

sniper/tactical type matches. Currently considering the AI rifle in .308 and having

a hard time finding info in regards to the differences between the AW and the AE

besides the price :blink:

Just want to be educated and make the right decision the first time.

What does the AW offer over the AE? Is it needed? Worth the extra dough? etc.? etc.?

Also should there be a consideration on caliber other than the .308?

Any and all advice and/or comments greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - richard.

I would consider a custom for the price of the AI's because you can have a rifle built just how you want it. There are also alot of calibers that out perform 308 if you are considering it for tac matches rem 260, 6.5 x 55, 6.5 x 248 are just a few that come to mind, which makes for less correction or hold over depending on the situation. Although many of them require you to reload it wasnt a big deal to me to add another caliber to the list I was cranking out. If it is an option for you a custom should be.

The difference between the AE and AW I believe can be found on TAC PRO's web sight. Sorry no definitive answer about them from me just something about the AW being made to military standards and AE for law enforcment.

Cody

Street price of a AW AE is about $3,000, whereas a AI AW is about $4,500. There is a AW guide here.

Downloaded that a fews days ago and that is really all I can find. Don't see

where the 1500.00 difference comes to play based on that and other info thus

far.

Is it the same barrel? Same receiver? etc.?

No gaurantee on accuracy but here is what I've found. The AE is different in the

following ways.

- only accepts 5-round magazines

- Harris bipod only, AI bipod not an option

- fixed straight stock only

- only available in black

- different mounting rail, how? unsure.

- only available in 24" barrel

- muzzle break not an option from the factory

Thanks for the input so far.

I think the biggest drawback will be the 5 round mags in MOR/Sniper matches.

.308 is nice as you can easily get factory match ammo for it if you get too busy to reload. If you are committed to reloading, .260 is a good one.

The Tubb is a sweet rifle. At the ITRC this year there was one shooting position with 25 long range targets, each to be shot twice. The 20 round mags saved a ton of time over 5 rounders.

The AI AW/P is sweet as well. Matt Burkett has tried them both, and likes the AI. David Tubb (surprisingly) likes the Tubb 2K. I have both, and it's a toss up.

Best advice is to handle all three AE, AW, Tubb, throw in a GAP for yucks, and then pick one and practice. It won't be the rifle that holds you back.

Talk to Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge. He is wise in the ways of long-range rifle, and he does it with the Flintsones-era Remmy 700. Pretty sure he can build you a better rifle WITH the best glass for WELL UNDER $4500. And I'll bet it won't weigh 20 lbs either...

John - Thanks for the info and agreed in regards to the 5-rounders. Lots of time

wasted on mag changes!

Eric - Thanks also and I'll give Shawn a shout.

May have to make a trip down to TacPro and try a few out assuming they rent them.