Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Accuracy With 147gr. Rainier

Rockclimbg

I just started reloading 9mm. I'd like to stick with a 147gr bullet, zero's are coming in a week, so I bought some rainier 147gr JHP bullets so I'd have something to do until the zero's arrive. Everything feeds and cycles fine in my Glocks but I'm all over the place with the G34. It has never shot that great to begin with (even with wally world WWB) but now it is all over the place. At 50yds, I landed 1 out of 10 shots on a IPSC target. Usually I'm grouping around 10'' offhand with my G35.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had problems with 147 gr bullets in the G34? I have a lot of rounds through it, so maybe it's time for a new barrel, or maybe it's just a problem with Rainier bullets (I've never used them before.)

Anyone else experience anything like this? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Rockclimbg.

You might be over crimping that bullet. Back off a little on your crimp and check the accuracy again.

The Rainier bullets has a thin jacket and can be easily over crimp, causing the metal jacket to crack and seperate during the spin through the barrel.

I'm using 3.5 gr titegroup.

As far as the crimp goes, that might be it. I shot them through some paper to see if they were any keyholes, but everything looked right. I'll try backing off the crimp and see what happens

Also,

Would switching barrels help at all? KKM perhaps?

Thanks for the advice!

Rockclimbg

P.S.: I shot some out of a buddies G19 and they grouped better, not great but far better than out of the G34. Could that have something to do with velocity and the jacket breaking apart? If so, that may further point to a crimp problem.

I've never had good luck with plated bullets in the 34. As far as crimp goes, if you can see an indentation in a pulled bullet, it's probably overcrimped. My crimp just removes the bell, no more, case tension from resizing takes care of the rest....

Make sure though that the heads won't move back under pressure....

124 plated bullets group fantastically in my 34, but don't know about 147's.

Pull a bullet out of one of your loaded rounds. See if there is a deep ring embedded in the jacket. If so, back off the crimp unti you see none.

My crimp dimension is between .375 and .377 and have no problems with set back.

My wife's G34 has grouped 5 shots at 25 yds, from a rest, that could be covered by a nickel. This was done with 147 gr Rainier RN bullets using 3.0 gr of Titegroup.

I suspect you are over crimping your bullet. BTW don't waste your money on an aftermarket barrel. You gain nothing, but loose reliability.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife's G34 has grouped 5 shots at 25 yds, from a rest, that could be covered by a nickel. This was done with 147 gr Rainier RN bullets using 3.0 gr of Titegroup.

I suspect you are over crimping your bullet. BTW don't waste your money on an aftermarket barrel. You gain nothing, but loose reliability.

After lightening up the crimp on the Rainier 147's JHP and trying Zero 147 FMJ (both with 3.4 gr. tight group powder), I still am having no luck with the G34.

Off hand at 25 yards was around a 12 inch group, same distance and bullet out of a G19 off hand was around a 3 inch group. I'm not sure why this thing is shooting so poorly with the 147's. I had some WWB from walmart on hand and was getting 3 inch groups offhand with the G34 using it, so I'm starting to think it's just the barrel/bullet combo.

Joe, what kind of OAL are you using with your 147 RN combo and what kind of velocity are you seeing with 3.0 gr TG?

Thanks.

Rockclimbg