Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip! Open vs Limited discussion

vgdvc

Hello shooters. So in a continuing effort to move from Limited to Open with good habits I would like to start a discussion on grip tendencies, styles,etc. When shooting iron started pistols I have found that an extremely strong  non-dominant hand grip while pointing thumbs forward and keeping the shoulders relaxed has helped with keeping smooth transitions,consistent sight tracking and recoil management to a maximum. I put some grip tape on the frame for my non dominate thumb to reference with slight pressure. How much of this parallels to the habits I would want to incorporate with a properly set up Open pistol. Thanks

Hello shooters. So in a continuing effort to move from Limited to Open with good habits I would like to start a discussion on grip tendencies, styles,etc. When shooting iron started pistols I have found that an extremely strong  non-dominant hand grip while pointing thumbs forward and keeping the shoulders relaxed has helped with keeping smooth transitions,consistent sight tracking and recoil management to a maximum. I put some grip tape on the frame for my non dominate thumb to reference with slight pressure. How much of this parallels to the habits I would want to incorporate with a properly set up Open pistol. Thanks
Sounds like great fundamentals to me. Nothing should change as these strong principles will allow you to go faster with an open gun.

Only thing that should change is going from sight focused in irons to target focused THRU the glass of the dot. You're still watching the dot bounce in the A zone but your eyes are primarily on the A box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have tried to keep my grip tendencies the same on each gun and it seems to work. Excellent advice above on the sight versus  target focus with a dot. One good thing about starting uspsa in the PCC division is that I learned early to focus on the target with a dot. 

Thank you for the input gentleman. Regarding proper focus I'm trying to get myself accustomed to the fact that the dot shows alot more movement  than iron sights. It exaggerates imperfections in aiming, so I don't need to be as precise as what is needed for an accurate "A" shot compared to irons.