Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying out of state with an SBR - ATF turnaround time?

So I'm attending a competition in Utah in February, and I have been strongly considering taking my SIG 553R, which is currently registered as an SBR. I have, however, never had to transport an NFA item across state lines so I'm unfamiliar with the process. I know that I need to fill out a form 5320.20, but I don't know how long it typically takes the ATF to process those.

Has anyone here ever gone through this process before? Anyone willing to share how long it took to get approved? If it will take too long, its NBD on my end, Ill just take something else to the competition.

You can email the filled forms to their fax email address and it only takes a couple of weeks turnaround.... at least in the past it’s only taken 2-3 weeks.  I’m not sure if the current shut down has any impact.

Yeah, I was worried if the shutdown would impact things. I was hoping there may have been some automated system I could submit the application to and get a response from (or that ATF was still open and processing). I've sent my forms in, and if they don't get back in time then Ill just take my normal rifle, NBD.

• 2 years later...