Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP!!!!!

Ok here is the short and dirty version...my new (less the a year old) STI Calif Edge exploded during a training session.

The barrel explded at the ejection port. When i called the Gunsmith who sold me the gun...they were less then concerned. ( Wait till all of my friends cancel the orders they placed. )

Now this explosion was not the resualt of a squib. since I was doing one shot draws I know this, nor was it a high power charged round.

I contacted STI and they told me to send it to them but Im faced with the concern of if:

A) this was a defect the barrel will be destroyed  when they "take " my gun apart.

B) any proof in the above mentioned situation will be lost. Should I need it for a legal case.

Okay guys!!! Any suggestions???

Ummm by the way.... I am fine..eyes where covered but the shrapnal was a bit on the painfull side...not to mention the powder burn on my hands

Tory, I'm glad you're OK, even if your gun is not.  

I've been present when a few guns have blown.  Of all the cases I'm aware of, there was always something abnormal that caused it to happen.   Sometimes bullets can get rammed back too deep in the case.   A standard charge of fast burning powder, like Clays for instance, can really ramp up the pressure in a hurry if the bullet gets jammed back by recoil while it is still in the magazine.

Maybe you could have a local gunsmith that you trust, or a friend who has blown a gun or two, take a look at it.   Take a little time to sort things out.   If you were shooting handloads, there are a great many factors that would be difficult to prove legally.  

I really sorry this happend to you, Tory.  I have felt the similar pain in the hands and in the wallet.

I agree, right or wrong, the simple fact it was a reload would place all the possible blame in your corner, legally. There is just to much doubt in the situation that would raise....

Of course, if it wasn't  reload, the factory ammo company might be at fault.... good luck proving that one

I doubt STI will admit responsibilty in any case, even if they do fix it for you. They are a great company, and normally very concientous of thier products, so I'd settle for just getting your blaster fixed at this point.

(Edited by shooter40 at 9:10 pm on Aug. 29, 2002)

I think you are lucky if you bought it from STI.  Since you said the "gunsmith who sold me the gun", I wasn't sure if you bought it new from STI or used from the other guy.  I've had some dealings with STI and I will tell you they go far out of the way to be fair.  They won't try to screw you, and they will fix the gun right (and they will do it fast).

I agree that it sounds like an ammo problem.  Could have been a weak case.  Was this .40, .38S, or .45ACP?  I doubt it was  defective barrel.  the barrels on my two STI Trojans are massive.

I bet they will do right for you.  Please post the results.