Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying SPS Pantera Grip for removable magwell

Bmeehan19

So I decide to try and modify the stock SPS grip to accept an afternarket magwell as in its original form it is precast with a integral one. The magwell I fit is the LimCat Aluminum magwell with steel insert. I took a bunch of pics along the way to help anyone else contrmplating this. 

First a couple measurements to ensure it will fit. 

93DCCB5A-9F60-4640-ABE4-BB4649F9F52E.jpeg

B236A83C-D32B-44DC-ACC4-744ABE579D88.jpeg

837937E8-BED2-478F-A2FA-AC168E062574.jpeg

0BEF85BB-492A-4196-91FA-CE699701527C.jpeg

Next I ground down the left and right sides to make them paralell to the grip and just enough to fit into the magwell. Go slow and test fit the magwell as you go. It wont go right on as you still have to nodify the front to fit inside the contour of the new magwell. 

FC38E463-CD8F-49A1-92BE-6876DDF9489E.jpeg

72E8D952-03B2-46B3-A4F0-69BEB202CACA.jpeg

Edited by Bmeehan19

And finally it is installed. I think it came out great. Not sure if the grip is the same overall length as an STI so I included a measurement from the middle of the top screw to the top of the magwell.  Now onto profiling, undercutting and stippling. 

ABE3C84E-2585-40EC-8579-F64E09359626.jpeg

41592BCC-93AB-4F27-AE90-861EFBE0CF7D.jpeg

That’s awesome man. I’ve thought about the possibly of doing that. I’d really like to run a bigger magwell. But I have really big hands, with my other 2011 with a regular sti grip and a big Dawson magwell the grip is to small. So I put the Dawson big hands magwell on it and it’s better, but still slightly to small. Since the Pantera magwell is not to big and it’s integrated so it doesn’t take up any grip space, it fits me perfect. So idk what to do. Maybe a DVC XL grip. But this is cool. Maybe I’ll try it. If I screw it up it’s not a lot to replace it with a new grip. I already have an extra Dawson magwell laying around. 

I rewlly like how this looks with the new magwell. 

Edited by Jfitz427

That looks great. If I could do that to mine I’d forget about wanting a DVC grip. It looks really good. It doesn’t really look that difficult either. I’m pretty good with stuff like this. So I may give it a try. What did you use to initially cut off the bottom of the magwell? 

It took about an hour of slow going to be sure I didnt take to much. I used a cutoff wheel with the dremel and just followed the line around the molded magwell where it transitions from the bevel to vertical. Then I used a sanding drum on the dremel to get it to the correct depth from the retaining pin  the cutoff wheel was just used to get the bulk of the material off. 

Edited by Bmeehan19

19 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

That looks great. If I could do that to mine I’d forget about wanting a DVC grip. It looks really good. It doesn’t really look that difficult either. I’m pretty good with stuff like this. So I may give it a try. What did you use to initially cut off the bottom of the magwell? 

Oops. See above post. 

Edited by Bmeehan19

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...