Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another primer issue (1050)

Here is my setup. S1050, large pistol CCI300, loading .45acp.

About every 5th or 6th tube of primers I drop one will hang in the tube on the machine side. No particular place in the tube and it could happen in the first 20 or the last. If soon enough of course I can't get the pickup tube off without a spill and if its late enough the follower rod will obviously be high and only a few primers feed. Sometimes it appears to have loaded all 100 and will feed several then I notice the follower rod stops "dropping" at the top of the press stroke. Tapping on the blast tube will sometimes correct things or not. If I have to pull the tube they usually come loose before I can get it out. Once I've had to poke one out with a long thin pick. The tube is clean and not damaged that I can see and I have no problem with the slide or seating the primer. None show up upside down. I do use a variety of pickup tubes and sometimes a vibraprime but I never use the Dillon pickup tubes. I've loaded many thousands with virtually no issues until this trouble shows up. This lot of CCI 300's has been perfect so far, I'm on the next to last box in the sleeve. I have not opened the last box yet. 

I'm at the point of ordering a new tube from Dillon but I thought I'd see if someone can tell me where I may be going wrong.

Happy new year to all!

Cleaned the tubes several times since the problem cropped up. Loaded 200 this afternoon without the issue, used a Dillon pickup tube, the plastic tip that mates with the top of the machine tube nut is smaller in diameter than the odd assortment of RCBS, Hornady and vibraprime tubes I have been using. Maybe they have been getting cocked during the transition from pickup tube to the machine tube? I'll load more later in the week using the Dillon PU tube.

Did you check the plastic tip on the primer magazine tube?  Those are a disposable commodity, should keep plenty on hand.  Replace regularly to keep from having issues.

Edited by GregJ

GregJ, yes the tip on the magazine tube is fine. My issue is the primers hanging up in the tube before they get a chance to drop down to the bottom/plastic tip/shuttle.

I think I have a fix. The inside of the magazine tube appears to oxidize quick, noticed I always get a lot of grey on the patches, so I smeared a little floor wax on a patch and coated the inside of the tube then "buffed" it with several clean patches. 500 rds (5 primer tube fills) with no problem last night.

Thanks for reading and the replies

7 hours ago, blindshooter said:

GregJ, yes the tip on the magazine tube is fine. My issue is the primers hanging up in the tube before they get a chance to drop down to the bottom/plastic tip/shuttle.

I think I have a fix. The inside of the magazine tube appears to oxidize quick, noticed I always get a lot of grey on the patches, so I smeared a little floor wax on a patch and coated the inside of the tube then "buffed" it with several clean patches. 500 rds (5 primer tube fills) with no problem last night.

Thanks for reading and the replies

To add to your cleaning procedure, a .177 bore brush fits the small primer tube perfectly. When I suspect a problem, I clean it with the brush and then push patches through until they are clean. I haven't added any wax or lubricant (don't want to attract dirt)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, GregJ said:

Did you check the plastic tip on the primer magazine tube?  Those are a disposable commodity, should keep plenty on hand.  Replace regularly to keep from having issues.

I second this advice. When I stocked up on these, Dillon didn't charge me. :) 

The plastic tip is fine. My issue was was the primers hanging up in the magazine tube BEFORE they could get to the bottom(plastic tip).

I cleaned the tube and used a small amount of hard floor wax on a patch then several clean patches afterwards.

Its been working great for the last couple thousand. I plan on cleaning it again this weekend. Don't know if the wax does any good at all but it hasn't hurt either. 

Thanks for all the help