Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issues

First and for most happy new year!! No for the question. I have a 550 b with the Dillon case feeder. For some reason after I put the casefeeder on my primer slide will not go back far enough to get a primer. I have to pull it back the last 1/4 inch to get a primer. What is happening? It worked fine until I put the case feeder on.Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, aguyn5girls said:

First and for most happy new year!! No for the question. I have a 550 b with the Dillon case feeder. For some reason after I put the casefeeder on my primer slide will not go back far enough to get a primer. I have to pull it back the last 1/4 inch to get a primer. What is happening? It worked fine until I put the case feeder on.Thank you so much!

It would be helpful to know if you have installed any aftermarket primer slide parts?

Make sure the "operating rod" (dillon part#13869) is positioned correctly contacting both white rollers like in pics below.

You may need to bend/shape the operating rod a little to fine tune. At full down stroke, there should be some tension & flex in this rod, exerting pressure on the primer slide to rear (pickup position).

Verify that the primer slide operates easily throughout its range of movement.

IMG_5397.JPG

IMG_5398.JPG

Take  case feeder parts off and see if it works. This will at least give you somewhere to start.

The two reasons I sold my 550 and got the 650 were the priming system and the case feeder . The priming set up is indeed the Achilles heel of the 550. And the  case feeder is an afterthought that often causes more problems than it fixes.

31 minutes ago, aguyn5girls said:

Sarge I am starting to see why everyone is saying that the case feeder on the 550 is more headaches than it is worth! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I personally asked a prominent Dillon rep if I should get a case feeder for my 550. He said ,”no, the beauty of the 550 is it’s simplicity. Keep it that way.”

The 550  was my first progressive reloader. Simplicity and flexibility are its strengths. I got the casefeeder when they first came out and there is a learning curve in getting it adjusted just right. Changing calibers is definitely more work getting the case feed just right with different diameter cases.

With that said, once you have it adjusted correctly, it was worth it to me as you can significantly increase your output. Ultimately, I got a 1050 and still use them both for different loads.