Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much of the FS do you see?

EricW

I was switching back and forth between my G19 and a stock 1911 yesterday and noticed how much more I noticed the sight track of the .45 versus the 9mm.  I pick up much less of the sight arc on the 9mm.  

When the shot breaks, I just see the front sight on the Glock pop out of the notch then disappear.  On the return, I pick ups the FS just when it's on top of the rear blade coming down.  I know this has a lot to do with slide speed, but I was curious as to how much others are seeing.

My seeing has definitely deteriorated over the last six months just due to lack of practice, but I've always "seen" more shooting a 45.   Is this good/bad/indifferent?  

Any vibes?

EricW,

I started a thread on this subject a little while ago and then started really concentrating on trying to see the sights through their entire recoil path. Then I realised that in attempting to do so I was actually moving my eyes up and down to try and track the sights and thought "this can't be good". Seeing the FS raise , disappear and then re-appear in the rear notch while keeping the eyes still is, IMHO what should happen. The rest of the FS track should be in peripheral vision.

EricW,

I don't think it's that important. What is important is that you see the sight at the instant it lifts, and then see it just as it's coming back into the notch. When you have to of course.

;)

And yes, on some 9's, the slide speed is pretty fast. I remember a S&W M-39 I USED to have - just looking at the slide from the side - you (I) could not see the slide move at all when you fired a shot.

Now I feel better knowing someone has the same experience .  In my 1911 and even with a friend's glock 30 I see the sight blur.  But with my g19 it's sort of now I see it now I don't.  But once in a while I get a glimpse of a blur especially when I hold the g19 slightly below eye level and don't try to see any particular thing.  So maybe it'll just come...sooner I hope. ;)

I try to see the fiber optic in the notch (anywhere in the notch) on full targets less than 7 yards, anything besides that I look for a sharp front sight properly aligned. It doesn't take me more than .03-.04 to get a perfect picture from my standard go fast sight picture .14-.15.

Here's a tip for y'all that are struggling to see the front sight tracking:  point your nose at the horizon.

I was fiddling around with a .22 at the range today and for some reason had trouble following the sights.  Then I noticed I was only using the top 1/4" of my glasses.  Propped my head up and voila, the sights are much easier to follow.