Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC minimum barrel length

I'm new to both this forum and PCCs and could use some help. Locally we have USPSA and IDPA clubs, both we plan to participate with, but we have yet to attend either. We've done fun shoots with the local indoor range only. We both have pistols that we planned to use but recently learned about PCCs and I found myself building two. Currently we have a 16" Scorpion Evo 3 S1 with stock and a Ruger PC9 that I've nearly fully prepped to make them fun within the ruleset. The question I can't be sure about is the legality for these clubs in terms of barrel length. I'm tempted to buy a QC10 lower and SBR it to have a fun 3rd platform because I like to tinker and to gives us options. Reading the online rules of both clubs, I don't see a clear minimum length for a legal SBR with stock (not brace). This could be very useful for my petite girlfriend compared to the Scorpion she's planning to start with. I apologize if this has been answered but I didn't find a clear answer in searches. Thanks in advice for any help and advice.

SBR’s registered as rifles (no pistols w/ braces allowed) are totally good to go in USPSA.

Not sure about IDPA: there’s far too many ‘local rules’ situations going on in that sport for me to answer confidently: some match directors still prohibit PCCs altogether.

They’re far, far more fun in USPSA than IDPA too. So if you have to pick, I’d optimize the gun for the USPSA ruleset.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

USPSA has no practical restrictions on length. I will say 5" is too short for my long arms. I prefer a 10.5" with a comp and a 9" handguard. Its handy enough in tight stages but still comfortable for my frame. The shorties are also lighter so if you, or your lady, prefer something easier to move with they are a nice thing to have. 

SBRs are tons of fun in USPSA. I just picked up a JP GMR15 lower SBR for USPSA. Definitely recommend it, JPs run darn near forever. Now if only we could get suppressors OK'ed for PCC and make this sport really fun!🙄

Thanks for the quick replies. When I compared the IDPA vs USPSA rules for PCC it seemed like there were extremely similar to my novice eye. What are the major differences so I can be sure I haven't already stepped over the line in IDPA? So far I've done things like MBX Comp, Taccom parts including magwell, and trigger. On the Scorpion the one major thing we did that is different would be the small BCM vert grip. Currently we're good on the 10" min mentioned but that's good know and a number I think I could easily hit on an SBR with pinned comp.

Since I have no real competition experience, I can't say how I prefer my reach but I can say I like that I can reach out far on the Scorpion probably around where 8" out on an AR hard guard and wrap my thumb over the top. On the PC9 I can't do this, I have to choke up more and keep my thumb off the exposed barrel. I ordered some PMM handguards for it so I can maybe put some hardware on the MLOK system to give my something better to grip there.