Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Law Enforcement Match Dfw Area (again)

bierman

I am trying to start up a monthly LEO only match in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. We are shooting at the TDSA range in Ferris. We had a few (5) shooters at the match last month and had a great time. If anyone is interested we are planning the next one for Sunday Sept. 4th at 9:00 am. Match fee is $15 and we will shoot approx. 150 rounds. PM me for more info if interested. Thanks.

Edited by bierman

More than likely because you have to "walk before you run". Being an LEO and an active IPSC competitor for 14years I have tried countless times to get other LEOs to come shoot. You have to get them out with other LEOs first to get them comfortable shooting the games, then once they are hooked you introduce them to our sports. Playing our games takes up a lot of free time, and free time is precious to LEOs working crappy hours and having families. The LEOs who are "shooters" will progress to our games when they are ready. I have brought alot of potentials to our monthly matches, paid their entries, brought them ammo, they have a good time, but dont come back due to a host of reasons.

That is more likely why it is an LEO only match, trying to get them some more trigger time under the guise of a "match" ;)

That is more likely why it is an LEO only match, trying to get them some more trigger time under the guise of a "match" ;)

And that is exactly the purpose. My Sgt. is talking about making this particular match mandatory for all officers who are off-duty.

Mikey, I can understand your Sgt's thinking here, but that is not the way to get LEO's interested to shoot. In fact, it will backfire. Not only that, but unless he's going by his own HR rule book I don't think he can make it mandatory unless you guys use this as your qualification. ;)

Keep us posted on this, I'd like to hear the outcome.

Many reasons for LEO only. Mainly its because most cops have this notion that they are better shooters than most civilians. That may be true for most civilians, but not the ones who shoot matches. Cops hate to lose to civilians, so they show up once, shoot, don't do so well and never come back. By doing a LEO only match we can get them used to the idea that shooting in a match is not a cake walk, but it is a lot of fun and then we may be able to hook a few for regular matches. I am just trying to get more cops out to the range and get more trigger time for them.

My uncle's a contractor in Waxahachi and is going off about some big new training facility in DFW area.  I'll be there in 3 weeks and ask him what he's talking about.

L.T. Dillon Shooting Sports Facility near Waco? :huh:

Huh? I'm in Waco and I've never heard of that range. The only ones I know of are "The Outhouse" (archery shop and range) and Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club. There's also a skeet and trap range near the airport.

My uncle's a contractor in Waxahachi and is going off about some big new training facility in DFW area.  I'll be there in 3 weeks and ask him what he's talking about.

L.T. Dillon Shooting Sports Facility near Waco? :huh:

Huh? I'm in Waco and I've never heard of that range. The only ones I know of are "The Outhouse" (archery shop and range) and Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club. There's also a skeet and trap range near the airport.

Try www.tigervalley.com for more info on LT Dillon range.

Flexmoney, as far as I know the closest IPSC match for DFW is in Waco at CTRP. IDPA seems to rule in the DFW area, although there are a few places doing the new IDSA thing as well.

Is the dfw area the part of TX that is without USPSA matches?

We've got one that's "local" at Johnson County Shooting Sports Association, Waco is 60-90 minutes away depending on where you live and Double Tap is up at Wichita Falls which is 2 hrs +- again depending on where you live in the MetroMess. On the other hand you can shoot IDPA 2-3 times a week most weeks both indoor and outdoor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...