Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Applying "With Winning in Mind" to USPSA

jmac2112

Hi,

A bit of background: I've been shooting competitions for about 9 months, currently shooting Production in USPSA/Steel Challenge.  I started out shooting mostly unsanctioned matches at my local range, then Steel Challenge, and recently I've gotten into USPSA.  I'm C class in Steel Challenge, not yet classified in USPSA.  I've become an avid dry-fire practitioner, currently working my way through the drills in Stoeger's book "Dry Fire Reloaded."   I've read Brian's book once, which is to say that I have only scratched the surface.  I've also just finished reading "With Winning in Mind" for the second time, and it is opening up a lot of possibilities to me.  

Anyway, my main question is focused on the Mental Program aspect of Bassham's book.  I get how this program applies to sports where you are only taking one shot/making one swing, followed by taking your time to get set up for the next shot/swing, but how do you apply it to something like USPSA?  Do you repeat the "Point of Focus" phrase/image/thought every time you face a new target, or a new array of targets?   Or is one "point of focus" moment enough to carry you through the entire stage?  I've tried searching the internet for an answer to this question, but I'm not having much luck.  If this has been discussed ad nauseum, please just point me to the right link.  Otherwise, I'd love to hear what people have to say!

Thanks,

John

USPSA, start of each stage only.  During the firing sequence you don’t want to be focusing on anything other than executing the shooting plan. 

Steel Challenge before each string.  I used to do a phrase, but now I do deliberate breathing (theee deep breaths in nose, out mouth, then tell RO to “go”) to get my mind right.  The breathing also helps to oxygenate the blood on top of getting into go mode. 

Thanks for the clarification, jkrispies, and thanks to ewthursby for the recommendation!  I was just thinking about buying "Get To Work," and now I definitely will.  Is there any reason I should start with the 2nd book before getting that one?

The second book, Principles of Performance, contains an interview Steve did with Lanny, which contains a few nice tidbits for the mental game.

Get to Work is probably the most dense, and if you wanted to get just one I would suggest that one. IMHO, they are all valuable and build on each other, so if you can afford his three-book package I’d go that route.

The podcast is even nicer, though he takes some getting used to. He covers various aspects of the mental game and how to train yourself, but he ends up covering most aspects over and over in different ways over a few months. If you don’t “get it” the first time, chances are he’ll cover it again down the road in a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

OK, thanks for the info!  I'll probably start with "Get To Work," since money is a little tight at the moment.  I'll check out the podcast, too.

Dry fire and mental visualization is free. There is no one book or program that you need to purchase before you can start. Plenty of info on this forum and if you’re just starting out, you can work on everything in the beginning.

Biggest thing With Wining in Mind is giving you the confidence in match situations that there is nothing you can’t do cause you did it in practice and you know how to execute the fundamentals. Getting out of your own head and just focusing on the shoot that matters st the moment. 

I hear ya there.  It's hard for me to shake it off when I have a bad run.  Staying positive, staying in the moment and not trying to rush anything is critical, but as soon as I start thinking that something is critical, I'm in trouble!

As to the phrase or thought, I'm still trying to decide what to do.  One thought I had was to try to picture the A zone as a powerful bullet magnet or bullet vacuum.  Or I could go with something more conventional like "firm grip, front sight."  That appeals to me because I have a tendency to forget about those two things when the buzzer goes off.

• 3 weeks later...