Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NFA Enhanced or Ambi Mag Release?

As a lefty, I've shot my PCC with a New Frontier Arms lower a ton in Steel Challenge where I didn't need to reload on the clock.  I'm gearing up for USPSA now, though, and an enhanced (read:  bigger button) or ambidextrous magazine release sure would be nice.  Can anybody recommend an aftermarket part out there for a bigger button?  I really like the looks of the Odin Works design (https://www.odinworks.com/XMGR1_p/acc-xgmr1.htm?1=1&CartID=1) and am really tempted to pull the trigger on it right now, but I guess I should research a little first.  I'm pretty sure I can make it work with a bigger button, especially since the ambi release looks kinda impossible to me... but maybe somebody knows something ambi releases too?  Thanks, J

Edited by jkrispies
24 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

Have you considered changing your lower to a dedicated ambi lower?

https://gibbzarms.com/product/g9-lower-receiver/

http://www.kearms.com/store/p/KE-9Ambi.aspx

Can I borrow $600?  (Just kidding.  But not really.)

Actually, the more I'm playing around with it and practicing my lefty-handicapped (lefticapped?) reloads, I think I can make it work well with the Odin release.  At least well enough that I won't have to build a new gun.  If not... that G9 looks pretty sweet.

I have never, ever had to hit the LH side mag release in USPSA... or anything other than a simulated injury. 

There have been several threads on that Odin piece. It works AND it extends past the button, acting as a longer lever and requiring less pressure to activate. All around excellent piece. 

8 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

I have never, ever had to hit the LH side mag release in USPSA... or anything other than a simulated injury. 

Clearly you’re not left handed and shooting classifiers, like the original poster and myself.

I put together a KE Arms lower last night. I really like their execution on the mag release for us lefties, and the magwell is massive for an unmodified lower.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
31 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

5DF2A3EE-5688-4C0D-B9BF-2EF9C0ECC217.thumb.jpeg.4e435fa78c256a591469f1f59632a922.jpeg

WOW.  Nice!  I just bought the Odin lever and will see how it goes.  I may eventually use this current PCC exclusively for Steel Challenge and build a second for USPSA.  If I go that route then the as yet built USPSA setup will be fully ambidextrous.  

I  got the Odin Works mag release yesterday.  I'll start with good news, followed by bad news.

The good news is that it works as expected, and it is allowing me to employ a reload technique exactly as I envisioned.  It will take some practice, but I think I can get my left-handed reloads to happen almost as fast as a righty.  This remains to be seen, of course, but there was no hope with the stock button.

The bad news is that I had to grind it, file it, and paint it to get it to work with my KNS pins, even though Odin goes out of their way to advertise that this release will work with KNS pins.  Most other people would have returned it as unusable with a 1 star rating.  I"m not at all happy with paying $30 for a supposedly drop in part that failed exactly where it was supposed to succeed.  Having said that, I'm not afraid to take the chance on ruining something in order to get it to work, and it paid off with this part.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:20 AM, jkrispies said:

The bad news is that I had to grind it, file it, and paint it to get it to work with my KNS pins, even though Odin goes out of their way to advertise that this release will work with KNS pins. 

I installed the Odin magazine release on two PSA 9mm lowers, both with 24C triggers and KNS pins.   The lower with the KNS pins with the round head screws did not have enough clearance and would require the same "adjusting" that you did.  The second lower used the KNS pins with flat head screws.  It was a close fit but the Odin mag release had sufficient clearance and needed no additional fitting.

2 hours ago, Fowlmouths said:

Don't be hating!!  It's easy to make it smaller(bench grinder) but more work to make bigger(welder and bench grinder)😁

Definitely will work well. The KE Arms lower I run has a similar design and it’s positioned perfetly:

C8830553-04B1-4F4E-AF71-646818DA88E6.jpeg

8 hours ago, Fowlmouths said:

The KE is nice but my whole rifle cost what your lower did.

There are plenty of cars on the road that cost less than my PCC has. I could have saved a sustantial amount by buying a JP, let alone a PSA. ;) 

I’ve done a lot of experiementing and learned some very interesting things about which combinations work, and which do not. That’s what I was after - I never set out to do a budget build.