Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Official Police

revchuck

Okay, folks, I've got this pretty nice '65 production four inch OP. I'd like to pull off the side plate and clean and lube it, and maybe replace the mainspring (or whatever they call that V-shaped thingy). It works fine as it is, Since I'm mechanically challenged ;) I'd like to have a book with disassembly and re-assembly instructions, preferably with 27 8x10 glossy color photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back describing what each one was....wait a minute...flashback! :D

Anyway, I'd also like a source (other than the factory if possible) for that V spring. Neither Brownell's nor Wolff offer one.

TIA!

As long as it goes bang every time, you are better off not messing with the spring. They do not wear or tire, and until they break or are knarfed by a "gunsmith" they need nothing. Nothing. Replacing one is not a user-serviceable item. Colt made them only when they had assemblers on hand with decades of experience. When those dudes retired, Colt made new designs.

Even taking one apart can be tricky. If it really needs cleaning, spend a whole can of aerosol cleaner on it, and lube likewise, taking the grips off and nothing else.

I repeat, resist the temptation to work on the action or the spring. Lie down and apply a cold damp cloth to your forehard until the feeling goes away.

As long as it goes bang every time, you are better off not messing with the spring. They do not wear or tire, and until they break or are knarfed by a "gunsmith" they need nothing. Nothing. Replacing one is not a user-serviceable item. Colt made them only when they had assemblers on hand with decades of experience. When those dudes retired, Colt made new designs.

Even taking one apart can be tricky. If it really needs cleaning, spend a whole can of aerosol cleaner on it, and lube likewise, taking the grips off and nothing else.

I repeat, resist the temptation to work on the action or the spring. Lie down and apply a cold damp cloth to your forehard until the feeling goes away.

Maaaaan...I'd call that a hint.

I have some older guns that I have taken apart to "clean". I often set aside a full day to do so. And, I have to be in the mindset of "I can do anything". Doesn't happen very often.