Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for help with an EAA EA40 compact...

KrymSIX

So I ran across this EAA EA40 compact at a local gun shop. I've never seen one and I need help from those with the Tanfo knowledge.

From what I could find online its basically a Tanfo Witness compact that pre-dates the "witness" branding.

The grip feels great, the single action was really nice...the double action was maybe the worst double action I've ever felt. Like immediate heavy stacking. It even felt a little gritty.

How difficult are these pistols to work on? Does this sound like something that  simply swapping out various springs would fix? Or does this sound like a full on professional trigger job is needed? Any ideas how much that might cost?

It's maybe also worth mentioning that I live in MA so coming across this sort of thing is a bit of a unicorn situation since like CA we have a stupid approved roster that FFLs are limited to for selling new firearms. So I don't know when I might see one again. 

My use for this pistol would be a bedside and occasional carry gun.

I like the gun for many reasons, but I don't want to have to put another 200+ into it to get a usable DA. If it's just spring changes I'll probably go for it.

Thanks so much for your help, 

Alex

Steel frame? Round trigger guard?

You can get a nice trigger with a few springs swapped.  doing some polishing will give you a VERY nice DA. 

Youtube the 4 part video series on tanfos by Memphismechanic.  polish a bunch, change the following springs with the ones from patriot defense; Trigger return, sear (if 1 piece sear), firing pin return and hammer.

The hammer spring use PD 15.5, Wolff 16 or EG Medium.  i would say EG Medium initially. 

Run it, then REDO THE POLISH. That should do it.

1 minute ago, philippshen said:

you want install a titan hammer, and swap out some springs, DA should be much better, but it will cost close to $200, or just by a CZ 75 compact,  also a steel frame pistol, but the grip is smaller

Titan hammer is *highly* unnecessary for a quality defensive firearm. I don’t even think you need one to win Production at a major match with a Gamer gun.

Do exactly as Johnbu suggested;  swap springs and polish the snot out of it. Your goal in a defensive firearm is a smooth double action, NOT a light one. Hammer fired guns hit that critical first shot much more weakly than the subsequent SA ones, so keep it a bit heavy and run more hammer spring.

Hell my competition gun was around 7 in DA when I quit chasing light triggers and just set it up to run reliably when filthy. (It started at a gritty 12.XX which is likely where your gun is now.)

That’s all assuming it’s a metal framed gun with a round trigger guard. Too old for google images to come with much.

And yes, go search up my Tanfoglio Tuning videos on YouTube.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That’s all assuming it’s a metal framed gun with a round trigger guard. Too old for google images to come with much. 

I briefly looked,  It may in fact be a small frame with longer rear spring.  (not sure).  The strip down / assembly is slightly different. CZ 75 guides will show it.

Wolff gun springs lists the longer ones. 

This is a picture of the gun in question (not the exact gun). I haven't purchased it yet. I wanted to get a feel for how much I would be committing to in terms of work to get it in what I would consider serviceable condition. 

The gun visually looks almost mint, which is surprising for gun that's probably at least 20 years old. 

I think that thinner grips could also help the situation. Any ideas which grips might fit? 

Are there different trigger lengths for this platform the way there is with the 2011? 

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful input guys, it's much appreciated. 

If I didn't live in MA I would just opt for a CZ75 compact probably or a more recent Tanfo. Sadly we don't have fun options like that. 

download.jpeg

11 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

I think that thinner grips could also help the situation. Any ideas which grips might fit? 

Are there different trigger lengths for this platform the way there is with the 2011?  

Small frame can use CZ75 grips. Many options there.

There are 2 triggers.  std (deep curve) and extreme (longer reach).  That vintage looks closer to the extreme.  So, changing to a deeper curve (current vintage) trigger would shorten the reach. Especially in DA.

Again, i recommend contacting EAA with the serial number and verifying large or small frame. 

Either way, the trigger can be greatly improved for 50-60 bucks and some time polishing.

20 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Titan hammer is *highly* unnecessary for a quality defensive firearm. I don’t even think you need one to win Production at a major match with a Gamer gun.

Do exactly as Johnbu suggested;  swap springs and polish the snot out of it. Your goal in a defensive firearm is a smooth double action, NOT a light one. Hammer fired guns hit that critical first shot much more weakly than the subsequent SA ones, so keep it a bit heavy and run more hammer spring.

Hell my competition gun was around 7 in DA when I quit chasing light triggers and just set it up to run reliably when filthy. (It started at a gritty 12.XX which is likely where your gun is now.)

And yes, go search up my Tanfoglio Tuning videos on YouTube.

Thanks for the info, your video explained very well.😁 I definitely agree with you that DA on defensive pistol should be heaveier 

4 hours ago, johnbu said:

recommend contacting EAA with the serial number and verifying large or small frame. 

Agreed. Do this first. If it’s small frame, anything that fits that a similar CZ will fit this gun.

4 hours ago, johnbu said:

Either way, the trigger can be greatly improved for 50-60 bucks and some time polishing.

Definitely. I’d grab this gun for sure if the price is right.

One more thing to check; if you plan on night sights make sure to look at how the front sight mounts. A lot of Tanfos don’t have any viable  front sight options.

Also, these stupid ads are terrible.

This brings us to my final question I suppose. What is the right price? The shop has it for 525. 

Again, I live in MA and folks tend to charge the "Massachusetts Tax", i.e. over charge a little or a lot for stuff that people can't purchase from an FFL. 

Really appreciate the awesome info. I guesd I'll email the shop owner tonight to see if he'll give me the serial number for the purpose of finding out which frame it is. 

Thanks, 

Alex

On 11/27/2018 at 5:21 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I wouldn’t pay more than $400 here in TN where I can casually pick up anything any day. Our gun laws are better than Texas.

Push for $500 because I bet it’s been sitting there a while... but $525 is fair in your (total sellers) market.

It's definitely been sitting for a bit. It's also lasted through at least 3 gun shows that this shop has gone to. 

I'm probably going to go for it and I'll be brave and see if they'll bite on 450. 

I'll post pics if/when I get it. 

So I got it. Even got a better deal than expected. Based on visual cues I was pretty sure it was the small frame (no visible barrel lock ridge on top of barrel visible, grip screw location etc.) 

Confirmed by EAA this morning that it is indeed small frame. For a 17 year old gun she looks great. Front sight appears to be part of the slide. I could always get that cut and milled for a better front sight

So from my understanding this will accept CZ75 Compact magazines just fine as well as additional grips. 

Are all the internal parts interchangeable?

JohnBu mentioned a standard trigger vs extreme, where would I acquire the standard trigger

I would like to thank you all for taking the time to amswer all of my questions regarding this pistol.

20181129_222731_1_22~2.jpg

20181129_222612_22~2.jpg

I too found a small frame for shooting in IDPA and it's a great gun.

I found that the CZ75 grips really don't fit well and just didn't look right. PD sells some made for the small frame and EAA has some really nice aluminum ones that fit perfectly.

The hammer spring was shorter than the S2 and Limited I have. I trimmed down a 15.5# PD spring until it fit perfectly without binding. The rest of the internals seemed to be the same. I replaced the plunger spring and the guide rod with Henning products and used the PD lightened sear spring. After some polishing on the internals the trigger is really smooth and about 1/2 the stock (6+ DA 2.8 SA) trigger pull.

It shoots really well and has a slightly greater recoil arc than my S2. Probably due to the lighter weight and possibly the tail being a bit lower.

Enjoy your find.

7 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

where would I acquire the standard trigger

I would call Joe At PatriotDefense. They may have some "take off" parts from guns that were set up with the extreme trigger.  or they can certainly order a new one if they aren't stocked. You will want a pile of their parts anyway.