Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flare The Stock Glock Mag Well?

chp5

I am suprised that Glock doesn't do a better job of flaring the bottom of the mag well on their frames. A little bit of flare would go a long way IMO.

Could you just heat up the bottom the mag well and slightly flare the very bottom of it?

I'm almost sure it's not allowed in Prod, but I think it's fine for LTD. Regardless of the rules issues, has anyone tried this? Would it work?

I think you run the risk of overinserting the mags and breaking off the ejector and/or jamming up the gun altogether. It's certainly a *possible* modification. Whether it's *advisable* is another matter. If you really need an integral magwell, considering having someone that does the grip mods professionally build up the exterior with accraglas or a similar product.

If you decide to heat up your frame, I would strongly advise that you make a metal mandrel that fits the existing dimensions of the inside of the grip line to line. It will be nearly impossible to keep the rest of the grip from collapsing and having a gun that will neither accept no drop mags.

I think you run the risk of overinserting the mags and breaking off the ejector and/or jamming up the gun altogether.

The mag base pads don't touch the bottom of the mag well, so the bottom of the mag well does not really guard against over insertion anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong.