Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers over rotation in 650

Odd problem that just suddenly popped up. I've have had the loader for 7 months or so now, bought it brand new. Many 1000's of 9mm through it. Worked fine the last time I used it a couple of days ago, but now the primer tray is over rotating just a bit. Not every stroke, but several times per 100. It binds the loader just before it gets to the lowered position, as the primer seating rod hits the bottom of the primer plate. If I just let a little pressure of the handle, it self corrects and I'm able to seat the primer.

I have regularly lubed the machine, but have not taken the primer system apart ever. That's what I'm planning to do next, but figured I'd post here for any input or insight into the issue. Maybe there is an issue with the spring/detent ball?

My 650 runs best when I clean the priming system every 1500-2k rounds.  If I don't, the residue from spent primers being punched out in station 1 gums up the primer system and I start having issues like you describe.  It's very easy to disassemble/reassemble, so clean it up every few thousand rounds and your press should run much better.  

Barring sites of lubrication, most of the residue on the machine is dry. I blow my machine off with compressed air after every session and it drastically reduces other maintenance. I have well over 50k on the 650 and have never had to disassemble the primer system. OTOH, not a bad idea to check it for worn out parts, etc. and you do get a better understanding of how ithe machine works.

On 11/18/2018 at 8:06 AM, Vizorn said:

My 650 runs best when I clean the priming system every 1500-2k rounds.  If I don't, the residue from spent primers being punched out in station 1 gums up the primer system and I start having issues like you describe.  It's very easy to disassemble/reassemble, so clean it up every few thousand rounds and your press should run much better.  

Good advice. I pulled it apart. It was not overly dirt, but I wiped it all down and put a tiny bit of oil on the detent ball. Pounded out 200 reloads without a hitch after putting it back together. I'll have to make that part of my routine when I clean/lube the machine, it seems.