Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO fail during reload

scroadkill

this has happened twice now during a match..
mid stage, eject 1st mag, and while loading next mag the first round pops out in the mag well and prevents seating of mag..
I'm using 9mm tubes, stock followers, czc 141 base pads, stock springs, and downloaded to 20 rounds.

At this point I have no idea whats causing this.. any tips?

Does this happen consistently on the same mag, or on all mags? I had some issues with feeding issues with my 140mm, but I use Grams Spring and follower.

Also, silly question but what kind of a mag holster are you using? Could it be possible that the way you grab your mag it nudges a round ever so slightly and loose?

2 minutes ago, SouperMan said:

Does this happen consistently on the same mag, or on all mags? I had some issues with feeding issues with my 140mm, but I use Grams Spring and follower.

Also, silly question but what kind of a mag holster are you using? Could it be possible that the way you grab your mag it nudges a round ever so slightly and loose?

not sure on mag.. its happened twice 2 months apart.. using DAA race masters pouches.. plastic kind.

I had similar issue with rounds getting stuck in mag tube when loading to capacity leaving first few rounds loose.. now I download mags #2,#3 etc a few rounds

not sure on mag.. its happened twice 2 months apart.. using DAA race masters pouches.. plastic kind.

I had similar issue with rounds getting stuck in mag tube when loading to capacity leaving first few rounds loose.. now I download mags #2,#3 etc a few rounds

It might be the spring is binding and the follower is causing a weird angle to push the rounds up in the tube. Most folks that I shoot with replace the follower and spring, which is where I got my setup. If I recall correctly, the Grams spring is “weaker” for a reason, and the follower doesn’t take up a bunch of space when the mag is fully loaded and catch on the spring as it’s rounds are exiting the mag.

6 hours ago, 858 said:

The stock springs and followers were not designed to work with extensions. 

I’ve used the stock springs/followers on 8 different mags with the CZC extension and have had zero issues with any of them over the last two years. Mine are 9mm and can get 23 loaded in each mag with zero seating issues on a full mag.

48 minutes ago, mveto said:

I’ve used the stock springs/followers on 8 different mags with the CZC extension and have had zero issues with any of them over the last two years. Mine are 9mm and can get 23 loaded in each mag with zero seating issues on a full mag.

ditto.. I normally run 22 in my starter mag and the rest downloaded to 20 rounds unless the stage calls for something a bit extra. figure 20 matches with 2 failures .. I'm trying the bevel mod now and case gauging every round.

15 hours ago, mveto said:

Let me rephrase, the stock springs and followers were not designed to work with extensions. The OP's TSO didn't fail. 

FWIW I get 25 rounds in TS mags with Springer extensions and Grams kits.

On 11/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, scroadkill said:

yep.. possible. I picked up a daa case gauge and checking all match rounds.

Easy enough to check without a gauge or tools.  Just remove  the barrel and drop a round in it.  the round should spin freely and drop out.