Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 4.5 9mm CO question SCSA

firewood

jcc7x7 thank you.

I'm asking the question because I have a basic XMD that I picked up at a prize table. It's not optic ready so if I decide to use it for CO then probably will opt for a dovetail mount. May I ask your opinion on using a dovetail optic mount on this gun?  Thanks

Caution: Springer has stopped milling XDm slides due to technical issues relating to the amount of metal they have to work with. They recommend a dovetail mount (which they sell) to convert a stock XDm to CO.

I had read that and because of it I ask the question. But I first wanted opinions on the gun especially for steel challenge. It's sort of convoluted in a way as I have more than enough auto loaders and I also just won a Glock so I have a G34 MOS in the pipeline but I really want that for a production gun. So it's either a G17 that I have or the XDM for carry optics and to be quite honest 99% of my shooting is revolver. On the other hand I have enough reloading components to shoot 9mm for the next decade for free, just my time and labor, that is at the root of my quest for a carry optics gun. I would be putting about $400.00 or so into it so that is why.

If nothing else one of my kids might use it if it were CO ready.

1 minute ago, firewood said:

I had read that and because of it I ask the question. But I first wanted opinions on the gun especially for steel challenge. It's sort of convoluted in a way as I have more than enough auto loaders and I also just won a Glock so I have a G34 MOS in the pipeline but I really want that for a production gun. So it's either a G17 that I have or the XDM for carry optics and to be quite honest 99% of my shooting is revolver. On the other hand I have enough reloading components to shoot 9mm for the next decade for free, just my time and labor, that is at the root of my quest for a carry optics gun. I would be putting about $400.00 or so into it so that is why.

If nothing else one of my kids might use it if it were CO ready.

Since didn’t want to commit, I left mine as is and my son is now using it.

The smart thing to do would be to make my G34 carry optic and keep using the G17 in production, do an upgrade on the XDM a little at a time, especially the trigger with has about a mile of pre travel. Or have the G17 slide milled and upgrade the G34 with adjustable iron sights. That sounds strange also.

52 minutes ago, firewood said:

The smart thing to do would be to make my G34 carry optic and keep using the G17 in production, do an upgrade on the XDM a little at a time, especially the trigger with has about a mile of pre travel. Or have the G17 slide milled and upgrade the G34 with adjustable iron sights. That sounds strange also.

My idea is to get a G17 for CO since the longer barrel is not advantageous with an optic.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Canman said:

I’m a big fan of the XDM. Wanting to get into CO but it looks like the optic sits higher on the XDM than other pistols.

Whatever height it sits at you'll get used it and index to that spot.

IF you're going to go back and forth to prod. and C/O you are going to have to spend some extra time getting your index back for the other gun.

Same old story stick to one gun and division!!! LOL something I should do but don't