Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Powder Measure And Dispenser

3GunF1Guy

I would like to get a new electronic scale. I also want it to be able to run a powder dispenser. Brian Enos sells the Pact, The RCBS is very popular. I don't know anything about the Lyman. I want one that will dispense fast and is accurate. If you have one of these tell my why you like it and what you do not like about it.

Thanks

Scott

I have the Pact Digital Precision Scale and the Pact automated trickler.

First, the Pact trickler is NOT, I repeat NOT a powder measure, it is a "Trickler" and a "Trickler" is not a "Measure" Production volumes like a "Measure" on a progressive press are a horse of a different color and the Pact is not designed for this.

That said, the Pact scale/trickler combo is the cats meow for folks who want to automate an "Exact" and "Repeatable" powder dispensing method for "Extreme Precision" loading. Fast is not a feature included with this system and asking it to do that is not fair. It will dispense an exact 24.3 grain charge of Varget in about 10-15 seconds. That's not bad for a trickle type dispenser.

I do not have the other products in question, but would highly recommend the Pact system for anyone needing it's capabilities. I would also recommend the Pact Digital Precision scale as a standalone product.

--

Regards,

Scott check this out:

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

and

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers02.html

I have the same setup as George, I do have the older style BIOS, the new one is supposed to be faster, of course it came out about 2 months after I got mine, but they are upgradeable. You can tell which one you have based on the trickler tubes, they have color coded plastic rings on them. Of course I don't remember the code, it's red or blue = old, PACT can tell you.

Don't know about the throw, but if no one chirps in, I'll try it toight and let you know.

That is what I want, a powder trickler.

Can you start it and then use a powder thrower to add 20 grains to the pan and the it will bring it up to 24.5?

Absolutely! I keep an RCBS standalone powder measure right next to it for exactly this purpose. Throw, 40-45 grains in the pan with the measure, drop the pan on the PACT scale, punch the dispense button on the PACT trickler and let the trickler take it right on up to the correct weight you programmed into it. It doesn't have to run the full charge volume, it just runs until the desired weight is reached so you can start with any weight you want in the pan.

Makes it about 50% faster this way on large charges, it's about a wash on 25 grain and under charges.

--

Regards,

I had bought one of the RCBS electronic scales and powder dispensers for reloading 308 a number of years ago and sold them within 6 months. The ime it takes for the two machines to do a full load was slower than I could do manually. I do like the suggestions that were made about only using the electronics to finish the load but that takes away some of the reason for an automatic system. The only one I know of that is very fast and accurate is the promethius system. However, these are expensive.

Adam

Today I ordered a Pact from Brian E. I decided to support the locals. Besides the Pact is not that much slower than the RCBS.

BTW that 6mmbr.com web site is a dangerous place if you like bolt guns of any accuracy. I want to build a Killer 6.5-06 and that is the place to learn how.

Scott P