Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizer die bulging cases near rim

matteekay

Hey all!

Interesting issue I ran into while checking .38 Special ammo before a match. At some point during my last loading run, it looks like my RCBS resizer started bulging cases (and/or not fully resizing them) just above the rim. It’s also leaving scratches/striations down the side of the case.

To confirm, I took some fired ammo and ran it through the toolhead. Sure enough, the brass won’t drop into a case gauge all the way. I replaced the RCBS with a Lee die and the problem went away.

The RCBS wasn’t loose or anything. Is it possible that I wore it out? It’s pretty darn old.

Reloading on a 650 if it makes any difference. Thanks!

31711717228_b3e5b62742_c.jpg

Edited by matteekay

do you lube the cases? You should. If not try lubing them and running through the sizer and see what happens.

Interesting thought. I lube my 9mm and 38 Super but I don’t think I was lubing these. The Lee die is working well but I’m going to give that a shot simply because I’m curious.

Sizing dies can only size down so far. The sizing dies that size the furthest down the case (having the least bevel on carbide) are Lee and Hornady.

Next, the sizing die isn't creating the bulge, it is either NOT able to reach it or it is pushing it down the case.

Attached are pictures of a 9mm case where my sizing die pushed the bulge down the case.

The only cure I know is to toss the case or use a Lee 9mm Mak FCD to Bulge Bust the cases prior to sizing.

9mm case that didn't feed 1.jpg

9mm case that didn't feed 2.jpg