Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550b Primer Seating Problems

I've beein usin my 550B for about 8 months. Got it used and had Dillon (AWESOME DILLON) go through it. Loaded about 5000 rounds through it so far, mostly successfully.

2 problems:

The press has always function well except that my primers don't always end up square...some of them are slanted. This doesn't usually cause a missfire, but it looks uneven and unprofessional.

Recently a problem has developed. When I set up my 550B on the bench the handle would come down and barely touch the bench. I decided that this might be causing the above problem, so I did the bubba thing and filed a groove in the bench under the handle to keep it from rubbing. In the next 500 rounds I ended up finding about 10 cases that are bent inward at the bottom of the case, around the primer. In a couple of cases the primer was seated, but the case was bent in so far the round wouldn't fire. Most of the cases were Speer nickle plated.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just horsing it now that i have a little more stroke? besides moving very slowly, how can I get consisten primer placement?

Thanks everyone...apreciate the info in advance. :huh:

Check for a bent or loose shell plate or an improperly seated detent ball/spring. Otherwise, check the primer ram to make certain it is straight and the cup is perpendicular to the ram and movement is unobstructed. Also make sure the primer punch isn't damaged.

If these are all ok, change the primer cup spring

BigSlick

You don't say what caliber you are loading. Be sure you are using the correct primer, and that the shellplate bolt is snug. If you push down on the edge of the shellpalte between stations 2 and three, it should not feel springy. If it does, loosen the set screw on the side of the shaft, tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops, back up about 1/8 of a turn, and resnug the set screw. If loading a pistol caliber for use in a rifle, be sure youa re still using pistol primers. Large rifle primers are about .008" taller than large pistol primers, and do not interchange. :ph34r:

Plus, I've noticed that some Speer cases are already "dented" in around the primer pocket, even before doing anything to them. You might not be causing it. The contour of the case head around the primer pocket is not a closely-controlled dimension in SAAMI specs. Some are flush, some beveled/rounded, some crimped. Those Speer might just be a "manufacturing artifact" that means nothing.

Check for a bent or loose shell plate or an improperly seated detent ball/spring. Otherwise, check the primer ram to make certain it is straight and the cup is perpendicular to the ram and movement is unobstructed. Also make sure the primer punch isn't damaged.

If these are all ok, change the primer cup spring

BigSlick

You don't say what caliber you are loading. Be sure you are using the correct primer, and that the shellplate bolt is snug. If you push down on the edge of the shellpalte between stations 2 and three, it should not feel springy. If it does, loosen the set screw on the side of the shaft, tighten the shellplate bolt down until it stops, back up about 1/8 of a turn, and resnug the set screw. If loading a pistol caliber for use in a rifle, be sure youa re still using pistol primers. Large rifle primers are about .008" taller than large pistol primers, and do not interchange. :ph34r:

I had noticed that the shell plate was a bit tight. Tonight I removed and reinstalled it so it turns without binding. I load mostly .40. Previously did a few hundred .45 too. I started with a new small primer bar/cup/punch ~5000 rounds ago. The uneven seating has always been a factor and until recently (~500 rounds ago) I had not even one malfunction...lately I've had several. Could be the firing pin in my Para too?

the primer punch looks new and vertical. TOnight I played with the seating. When pressing in the primer I tend to push it pretty hard...not jammed, but maybe too snug. Can this be a problem...fortunately never lit one up! Seems to be seating pretty consistenly now...

Just for fun I tried to seat a couple of primers hard, medium and soft. light-med seats fine. When seating hard I got a crooked one. Could the primer be gettin crushed?

Plus, I've noticed that some Speer cases are already "dented" in around the primer pocket, even before doing anything to them. You might not be causing it. The contour of the case head around the primer pocket is not a closely-controlled dimension in SAAMI specs. Some are flush, some beveled/rounded, some crimped. Those Speer might just be a "manufacturing artifact" that means nothing.

Tonight I sorted through some of my brass. There seem to be 2 vintages of the Speer cases. 3 of the ones that I've loaded that are severely bent in also seem to be slightly smaller across the back of the case. There definately is alot of variance between manufactures too. Before loading next time I'm going to check all of the cases first and see if some come pre-beveled..

Thanks everyone for the tips! Hopefully this will fix me up.

Sidnal

In 40 and .45 Speer brass is a tool of the devil with their cupped shape. In 9mm I'm using a large pile of Speer nickle plated brass and it works like a charm, no indent or other such oddness.