Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW 2011 magwell won’t fit any grips

Dr Mitch

I picked up an EGW magwell a few months ago, and tried installing it recently.  It did not fit the 2011 grip in question, so I tried it on my other two and it also won’t fit them either.  All are STI grips.  The back of the magwell will not fit over the mainspring housing area; it stops at the portion on either side of the MSH slot.  Looks like the only way it will fit is with material removal.  Anyone else had this problem?  

This magwell:

http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/sti-hi-cap-mag-well-black/

Yes, I have several EGW magwells on STI grips and I have had to fit all of them. Mine have gone on to the grips ok, but the mainspring pin hole doesn’t match. I had to oblong the hole in the magwell to get the pin in. It is frustrating that such a high quality part isn’t an exact match, but fortunately the difference in hole location is such that allows a tight fit with it egged out. I have large hands, and this is the only magwell I’ve tried that doesn’t interfere with my grip. 

I have had very few magwells "drop in" my 2011 grips. I usually have to massage them a little to get them to fit right, especially metal grips. But I have no personal experience with the EGW. But I know from using their other parts, most of them are oversized so they can be properly fit. Of coarse they should not advertise a "drop in" part that does not do so.

I'll echo what was said above, i have used a number of different magwells on polymer grips... none have required fitting.  I'd call egw, they're a great company that stands behind their product in my experience.