Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production and Single-Stack match. Your feedback would be most appreciated.

Rez805

I shot the 2018 Grid Iron Arena at the Linden Gun Range. It was 7 stages + Chrono and was a "Production vs. Single-Stack" match.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Especially where I say "No complaints" or ???. Perhaps you can see something that I didn't.

My overall thoughts

I was part of the staff and shot on Saturday. We were there a bit longer than anticipated (we started at around 11AM and ended just after 5PM).

1st stage jitters were in full effect. My heart was pounding. I felt okay on all other stages. I didn't give this the "75% of your maximum pace" treatment. I really wanted to see if my movement was up to par with some of the faster shooters. Interestingly, pretty much all of the stages had really tight draw to first shot (i.e., your first shot was literally on the draw with zero position change or there was only a little bit of movement). I don't put to much stock in one's draw to first shot time, but it was interesting to be presented with this throughout the match.

Stage by Stage self-analysis (in the order they were shot)

Stage 6 (@ 00:05 ) - Nothing tricky. Shoot 'em as you see 'em. Heart was pounding like crazy before the buzzer. I don't like that feeling.

1st Position: I lingered on the diagonal partial. Transition to the open target felt good (i.e., no overswing)

2nd Position: I probably could have had my gun up sooner and/or taken the open target on the deceleration/entry. I think I decided against that since I don't practice it.

3rd Position: Reload as well as movement into the position (minus the slight slip) looked decent. I looked at the tuxedo while exiting the position and wasted time taking a make-up shot that wasn't necessary at all (I didn't see two holes. Then again, I didn't call the shots as "bad"/"mike", so I shouldn't have even bothered looking. Upon inspection, three holes were present)

4th Position: I was a bit too excited on the steel and that resulted in a make-up shot

5th Position: No complaints. Good on steel.

6th Position: No complaints.

Stage 7 (@ 00:35) - Best one shot on paper, steel must fall. Way to many make-up shots. Fortunately, I didn't have to do a standing reload.

1st Position: Draw was a bit funky. Multiple make-up shots on steel. 

2nd Position: Speed to the 2nd position felt good, but I went way deeper into that position than needed--you can actually see that in the hat cam footage. At least I went 1-for-1.

3rd Position: Speed to the 3rd position didn't feel as fast as it could have been. 2 make-ups on steel. Low paper (Classic Target with only the A-zone) could have been engaged quicker in my opinion.

4th Position: 1 make-up on steel that I save until the end.

5th Position: ???

Stage 1 (@ 01:10) - Engagement order was probably the biggest decision here. I decided to take the paper during the draw as opposed to trying the activator. Simply put: I wasn't confident that I could hit the USP on the first shot. 

Aside from the Delta (I forget which target) I have no real complaints. I hit each position pretty well and went 1-for-1 on steel (remembering to hit the activator steel first).

Stage 2 (@ 01:26) - Unloaded start. All magazines on barrels. This one had a few choices to make. I decided to take the open target with the first magazine. This setup the final reload at the end (I felt that the open space towards the end of the stage was a perfect place to throw a reload. I saw a couple of other people reload before taking the steel and swinger while basically motionless).

1st Position: I made sure to backpedal enough to see the two open targets. I felt that the open target that I engaged on the right was visible enough to engage from there.

2nd Position: Mike on the top of the "no-shoot sandwich" after a bit of trigger freeze.  I was luck that the other shot broke the perforation at the very top.

3rd Position (just the headbox): 1 Mike on the headbox. I was lucky that the other shot broke the perforation at the very top--for the second time on this stage. Yikes.

4th Position: 1 make-up on steel. I have no idea how to shoot swingers. I'm pretty much just target focused.

5th Position: Entry shot looks like it was taken during an "unstable/bouncy" part of the deceleration.

Stage 4 (@ 01:51) - Sequence. Sequence. Sequence. I saw it several times and just didn't execute. Believe me, I was not going for the "NPM vs. Time" strategy on this one. I was very relieved when I was reminded that the drop-turner was a disappearing target. That could have been way uglier.

Stage 3 (@ 02:02) - A short course! An actual short course!

Position 1: I probably could have transitioned a bit harder to the left target. I decided to leave the partial target for position 2.

Position 2: I probably should have taken a wider stance. I certainly had the space.

Stage 5 (@ 02:13) - A memory stage. What a trainwreck. I actually spent the majority of my time visualizing this stage before the match. The execution just wasn't there. Primarily because I somehow forgot to load mag 1 (from my belt) with 10 rounds. My plan was to take the left hardcover target. Reload into the left port (I missed the reload and that resulted in wasted time) and take all visible paper. Move to the center and take the right paper (the center was the only position where it was visible), all steel, and the left paper (the center was the only position where it was visible). This felt doable with a buffer of 1 round for the center position. I missed that center position by a bit and had to "re-plant" my foot. Missing more than 1 shot (or in my case: failing to top-off all mags) would result in a standing reload. I fumbled that standing reload. And thus I gave myself the good ole' hip slap at the end. But I do feel like the movement to the right port and right edge were decent. I think I was just really frustrated at that point and that somehow translated to quicker movement.

Overall, I walked away disappointed with my performance. It mostly seems to be an execution thing. I understand my equipment, none of the shots/presentations were insanely difficult, and my time (all things considered) was decent--that was one of the big questions that I had. Silly mistakes cost me a lot at this match. It feels like I need to sharpen my execution, remember not to go ape-sh*t on head boxes and steel, and check every mag before stepping to the line. Another troubling thing: I staffed the match the next day as an RO and my left knee felt absolutely wrecked. Pain with every step until late in the afternoon. That doesn't bode well for multiday matches. And that doesn't happen the day after a local match.

Thank you in advance for your time and feedback.

Edited by Rez805

I wasn't there.... but.

How did you place in final results? Better or worse than usual?

My worst stage placing of the year was a simple short one with "easy targets". I rushed and missed - which didn't leave many points. My best stages had long shots where I saw no other way than aim without worrying about time.

I was the only shooter there from my home range. I'm usually towards the top at my local match and try to keep up with the Open and PCC shooters.

The only other point of comparison for the Grid Iron would be a section match in June (Golden Bullet) since there were a few competitors who shot both matches. Admittedly, I did not prepare for the section match so I was pretty happy with the result--I was left wondering what could have happened if I had prepared for it. After browsing through some of the common names it would appear that I did slightly better at the Grid Iron. Mistakes (make-up shots, positioning, and penalties) hurt me at both matches.

I would say that the level of difficulty with respect to the courses was a little higher at the section match (more hard cover and no-shoots from what I remember).

Edited by Rez805

• 2 weeks later...

You are a better shooter than me so take this for what it is worth.  As you said, mistakes/execution were your biggest problems.  If you are a believer in Steve Anderson (and I am), your mental game was your problem.  As you said, your goal was to see if you are as fast as the other guys.  I would bet that lead to you rushing many times throughout the match and having your conscience mind thinking about something other than hitting the targets/calling your shots. If you would make the latter your goals, maybe you would place even higher? 

On 10/14/2018 at 10:04 AM, B585 said:

You are a better shooter than me so take this for what it is worth.  As you said, mistakes/execution were your biggest problems.  If you are a believer in Steve Anderson (and I am), your mental game was your problem.  As you said, your goal was to see if you are as fast as the other guys.  I would bet that lead to you rushing many times throughout the match and having your conscience mind thinking about something other than hitting the targets/calling your shots. If you would make the latter your goals, maybe you would place even higher? 

I definitely rushed through the headshots. Those targets just seemed so dang close compared to what I usually see at my club. For instances like that (rushing on close targets), I think it might actually help me to spend a little bit of time with targets at 2-3 yards trying to understand how the gun behaves when I try to go full throttle on splits and transitions.

Steel was another place that could use a touch-up with respect to hitting the targets/calling shots. The best advice I received for steel was when I was getting started in Steel Challenge: Go 1 for 1. That resonated with me much better than "you can't miss fast enough to win" or "slow down, you just gotta slow down".