Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS mag problem

OnceACowboy

I have a new TS .40 cal.  Only change made was to add Taylor Freelance basepads to the magazines.  Ammo was range brass reloaded with PD 180 gran lead SWC and Universal powder.  I don't remember the exact OAL but I can't tell any difference in length between the Winchester factory ammo and the handloads. The pistol fails to go into battery one or twice for every magazine.  Doesn't seem to happen with the small sample of factory Winchester factory ammo.   My first thoughts are that I might need different mag springs with the non-stock basepads.  Second thought is the shape of the lead SWCs in the handloads may be the culprit.  Please share if you have had this problem and what solutions you found.

What's the overall length of your ammo?  It would  also  help to know how much  powder you're using.

initial though is that your OAL is too long and/or you really recoil spring and load aren't tused correctly  

Edited by muncie21

Agree with obsessive here - I use flat point in my TS with very few issues. The TS platform can be a little picky about length but I’d ditch the SWC’s first and see if that helps. Also - if you have the buffer pads on the guide rod remove them - they tend to cause short stroking. 

A long time ago when I bought my CZ TS, friends who had them told me that if I loaded to 1.126" OAL, I'd never have feeding issues.  They were correct.  One of them even shoots 175gr LSWC at that OAL without issue.  I prefer Truncated cone or round nose flat point bullets.

I use  coated bullets from Eggleston Munitions in my TS. I've found the .401 - 180's give me really good accuracy and reliable performance. As for powder, I am using Prima SV which burns clean, is very consistent and is not temperature sensitive. I just came back from a level IV IPSC match in Thailand where we had some very challenging targets at 40 yards and they were accurate enough to make me proud. The accuracy issues I had there were all "on me"... 

CHA-LEE has a number of posts on Eggleston if you want to do some research. I think he even posted a discount code that's great for testing