Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Open Gun For Minor PF

CompleteJack

If I'm not concerned with making PF for USPSA, how does a V12 Gold Team stack up against a Elite Limited Witness with a 3 port compensator in terms of muzzle flip, recoil, or noise? 

I shoot a lot of 3-gun and in my area they don't score using power factor. After feeling the 2011s in my area, and shooting an Open Stock 1 build my boss had with a 3 port comp, I decided I like the Tanfoglios better, so I've read a couple dozen threads on the forum. I've seen that V12s have trouble making 9 Major, and if I ever get into USPSA I'll just switch to 38SC, but for the time being I'm looking for maximum performance within minor power factor. 

Should I save a couple hundred and comp an Elite Limited? Or will the GT do me better?

That is going to be personal preference. The limited weighs a little more and is 1/4 in longer. To comp it you will need a 6in straight barrel, have it threaded and a Comp fit. The GT is 1/4in shorter and comes with 2 barrels. The v12 and spare are probably fine for minor. I didn't have trouble making minor. Going major is a different story. It can be done, and it works but the V12 isn't the softest. It's violent and concussive. The New Comp is a major improvement. 

I just saw the new comp thread, that thing looks nice! 

I'm mostly just worried about how softly I can get the gun shooting, I can always juice up my loads and shorten OAL to get whichever gun I choose running reliably.

I thought you or Atlas or somebody else might have some insight into how these guns feel shooting minor PF. 

2 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

If you're not loading major, just put a dot on a Limited and skip the comp

My intent was to load behind a 90 grain bullet with a slow powder to try for maximum gas volume and minimum recoil. Is a comp really that inconsequential on a minor PF gun in your experience?

If nothing else I'd be tempted to get a comp anyway to add weight up front, but I would like to hear what y'all think.

Just now, Apolo said:

You are going to need to spring light for minor with V12. My gun didn't like to cycle (reamed) the Federal Syntech with an 8lb recoil spring.

I expected as much, but 8lbs is extremely light! Factory is 14 right? 

Is that a custom made spring, or does Henning/EG sell one?

5 minutes ago, CompleteJack said:

My intent was to load behind a 90 grain bullet with a slow powder to try for maximum gas volume and minimum recoil. Is a comp really that inconsequential on a minor PF gun in your experience?

If nothing else I'd be tempted to get a comp anyway to add weight up front, but I would like to hear what y'all think.

If that's the case, yes, 9-10gr of AA7 or Shooters' World Major Pistol under a 90gr pill will be awesome out of a compensated gun.  If you're going to cut/thread a barrel for the three port comp, you might as well do it for my new 4 port comp ?

IMG_20180906_234333.thumb.jpg.f1bf73f5c3c91ab2df9fde22e23e6419.jpg

3 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

If that's the case, yes, 9-10gr of AA7 or Shooters' World Major Pistol under a 90gr pill will be awesome out of a compensated gun.  If you're going to cut/thread a barrel for the three port comp, you might as well do it for my new 4 port comp ?

IMG_20180906_234333.thumb.jpg.f1bf73f5c3c91ab2df9fde22e23e6419.jpg

Gorgeous! ? I was just eyeing it up in the other thread. Dare I ask what you charge for one of those beauts?

Edited by CompleteJack

2 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

$260 delivered

Gosh, I daresay you'll be hearing from me in the not too distant future. ?You've convinced me to build up rather than buy a prebuilt open gun.

Now to find a local Smith who'll cut and thread a barrel!

Go 38 super, easier on recoil, makes major very simple with v12 barrel and minor as well .  10.6 gr 3n38 is match ammo 10.2 practice, 124 jhp makes major all day.

Minor 8.6 on a 115 rn soft as hell! 

I run a 6 lb recoil minor 8 major pf 

these guns are flat !

After some thought, I'm going to start by shooting without a compensator. If Atlas finds somebody to cut and thread barrels for his comp, I'll buy one of them and run with a Ghost holster. I know at some point I'll want that comp, even for minor, but I don't trust any local smiths to not mess up my $190 barrel.