Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base Shotgn

I'm in need of advice regarding where to begin building an open class shotgun. I've previously owned a Bennelli M1 Super 90 and truth be told, it beat me senseless. There is no doubt that they have to be the most reliable shotgun made. They're impossible to jam and they always work...but they seemed to me to be very punishing.

That said, I'm thinking about building an open class shotgun for 3 gun. My question is, which shotgun should I start with, the Bennelli or a Remaington 1187? Some of you may say, send a check to JP and have them build one but, I do enjoy doing the work on my firearms. Thanks in advance for the input.

Brian

What gun to start with?

Depnds on two things: How much money are you willing to spend, and how much recoil do you like?

If you do not like recoil, go with a gas op. If recoil is just not an issue for you, you might like the Benelli.

Barely used M1100's and M1187's are very available, there are plenty of parts/accessories to make them into your idea of a practical shotgun and there are good 'smiths that know how to make them slick and fast and reliable, or even go Open. This is the low buck/low recoil route. I have less than $400 in my shotgun this way, and I have a reliable, fast handling, fast loading Standard shotgun.

New M1100/1187's and the Browning and Win autos are all good and used. These guns will all do nicely, and there are 'smiths that know how to make them run, or even go Open. This route costs more but is a low recoil route.

Then there are the recoil operated guns, primarily Benelli. Standard only. You have to tolerate more recoil - that is how they work. They will misbehave if you add weight or a brake to them. The payoff is they are lighter and faster on the transitions. And there are good 'smiths out there too.

So, like many things, you get to pay your money and make your choice.

Good luck and welcome to a fun game.

Billski

What gun to start with?

Depnds on two things: How much money are you willing to spend, and how much recoil do you like?

If you do not like recoil, go with a gas op. If recoil is just not an issue for you, you might like the Benelli.

I weight maybe 135lbs with all my clothes on and I've been using a Benelli since I started in 3-Gun. I've never had a problem with the recoil. I recently had Beven Grams do his thing to my M1S90 and to me, it seems to have less felt recoil now.

Basically, I would try out a Rem 1100/11-87, M1S90, and a SX2 and see what works best for you.

-David

I bought my Benelli back in 1990 and used it very little. When I did I never finished shooting that didn't leave me with a buised shoulder. Really, I'm not that dainty. I found it uncomfortable to shoot and subsequently didn't shoot it often. That's why I sold it. Now, truth be told, I could kick myself right about now since it's a great 3 gun shotgun.

I've been modifying my M-15 for the last few months and it's turning into an impressive rifle. At this point I'd like to do the same thing with a shotgun. I'm also interested in what you folks consider essential modifications.

Thanks again for your input.

Brian

I bought my Benelli back in 1990 and used it very little. When I did I never finished shooting that didn't leave me with a buised shoulder. Really, I'm not that dainty. I found it uncomfortable to shoot and subsequently didn't shoot it often. That's why I sold it. Now, truth be told, I could kick myself right about now since it's a great 3 gun shotgun.

Brian

My experience mirrors yours exactly, and sold my super 90 for the same reason.

I'm getting in a remington 1100 with a 23" barrel, with the hope to get it to run with light loads. I've read about drilling the gas port larger and plan to try that.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried SRM preformance surecycle system. it looks like a replacement recoil spring and stanless plug, and comes with a light spring for light loads and heavy one for buck.

http://www.surecycle.com/default.asp

I'm in need of advice regarding where to begin building an open class shotgun. I've previously owned a Bennelli M1 Super 90 and truth be told, it beat me senseless. There is no doubt that they have to be the most reliable shotgun made. They're impossible to jam and they always work...but they seemed to me to be very punishing.

Get another Benelli. I went out and bought a 20ga cause I didn't like getting beat to crap while shooting - I'm switching back! The reliability is WAY worth a little extra pain. Also, you can add "stuff" to reduce the beatings. (Not sure what, just know it's out there and it works - I'm not very technical!)

I found a Remington 1100 with a 26" barrel, 12 ga with synthetic stocks for a good price so I'm going to begin there. I ordered a Choat 10 rnd tube and bolt lever for it to start. I'm thinking in a few months, I may have a JPoint installed. Porting? Any thoughts here folks? Will it make a significant difference?

Brian