Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lessons in gunsmithing

Skillet_1911

I spoke to a real gunsmith recently and he recommended taking a course in using precision tools, a lathe, then a course in using a milling machine. These are the basic skills that you need to become a true gunsmith. Then you need quality machine tools large enough to do any job and the space to set up shop.

Without these skills you are an armorer not a gunsmith (my opinion). I was shocked at the amount of knowledge in machine skills is required to be a skilled gunsmith. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, alsipd said:

I spoke to a real gunsmith recently and he recommended taking a course in using precision tools, a lathe, then a course in using a milling machine. These are the basic skills that you need to become a true gunsmith. Then you need quality machine tools large enough to do any job and the space to set up shop.

Without these skills you are an armorer not a gunsmith (my opinion). I was shocked at the amount of knowledge in machine skills is required to be a skilled gunsmith. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

don't forget welding and brazing too.

it's like the art of using japanese sword . they claim to have only 5 basic movements, but takes all of life to control them.

2 hours ago, alsipd said:

Agreed you need a host of skills to be a gunsmith. Which is why I will only ever be an armorer. I can replace and fit parts but I will never be skilled enough to make parts from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

that was  the situation until 100 years ago. they knew how to make every part in their guns.?