Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Q5 Match / Canik TP9SFx grips the same?

Absocold

Interested in buying a production gun. Was looking for an HK P30L V3 but they are in very short supply at the moment and those that are available are hideously overpriced.

Next option is a Q5 Match, but I'm worried the grip is the same as a Canik TP9SFx. I've shot the Canik and the top of the backstrap is too square and it bites the hell out of the web of my thumb, so badly that after 100 rounds my thumb bone was screaming for mercy. So that's my question, is the top of the backstrap (beavertail area) the same square-ish shape on the sides on the Q5 as it is on the SFx?

I've been doing Google image searches for an hour but either frame shapes have changed a bit as time goes on or the lighting/angles plays tricks on how the shape looks. So I figured why not ask? Surely someone has shot (or owns) both guns and could give me an idea of what I'm in for.

Thank you very much for that. Here's the part that's kicking my butt:

xvmJ24w.jpg

Looking over the production rules it seems as if I could round off that edge and make it a smooth transition without getting in any trouble (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Now I need to fire up my Google-fu skills again and see if there's an easy way to refinish the polymer after I'm done so it doesn't look like Bubba's much-abused truck gun. Anyone have a trick for making sanded Walther plastic look factory smooth?

No modifications to the beavertail area to stay in production.

see appendix d4 22.2 grips

No
Non OFM
grip modifications (addition or removal of material) that provide
function, such as a beavertail or thumbrest, or prohibited. Revolver grips
may be replaced with grips of any shape, profile, or texture. Adding or
removing material to change the profile
of Revolver grips is ALLOWED
Edited by je85

Dang, missed that part. Seems like a bit of a catch-22 in the rules though. Because above that you've got:

Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed.

So one says grip mods are allowed, another says grip mods THAT PROVIDE FUNCTION are not allowed. Seems like removing/smoothing that small ledge would hinder function and be allowed (less material to recoil against the hand causing more muzzle rise). But, I suppose some troublemakers and range lawyers would cry foul over it ?

I talked to Troy at Area 7 and he told me i can add or remove material anywhere except beavertail or that would aid as a thumb rest.

Im sure if you remove a small amount of material in your problem location and blend it so its not visible you would be fine.

• 6 months later...