Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 round magazine holders.

nagantino

I'm waiting on a new Typhoon F12 shotgun to arrive. This will put me in Open Class. Locally, the box fed magazine Shotgun has gained many followers because it eliminates, or simplifies reloading. I compete now with a Beratta 1301 but arthritis makes it a slow job. The Typhoon will have 3x10 round magazines. When filled, I know the magazines will be heavy. 

I wanted to ask ....Which belt/holder system in Open Class, has gained a proven solution in Competition?

I'm by no means an expert, since I've shot a grand total of zero matches in Open, but I'm doing a bit of research on that since I picked up a Vepr a while back.

There's some good discussion here: 

https://3gunshow.com/2018/03/20/180-breaking-open-with-scott-greene-and-adam-maxwell/

That podcast episode is wider-ranging than just shotgun mag carriers, but they do spend a few minutes on that topic. One thing they mention is that .308 rifle mag holders with a two-piece design will actually fit a lot of shotgun box mags if you mess around with longer tensioning screws. I know that LAG Tactical makes rifle pouches like that, but there are probably others. They're short enough that I'm not sure an extended mag would be stable in one, but a 10-rounder would probably be okay.

Lots of folks will just epoxy a belt clip to the mag body and carry them that way. No personal experience with that, though.

Nerd makes high-end shotgun mag carriers, but I think they're specific to Vepr mags, so they might not fit yours.

I believe the Typhoon uses 1919 based mags, if that is the case look at the Safariland .308AR mag holders.

i use them for my Armagon G12 which uses 1919 mags.  I run the pouches with the ELS fork mount which then mates to an ELS receiver made by Binary Engineering which mounts to a Double Alpha belt.  It works wonderfully.  The belt and pouches hold the mags right where I put them and I can swap pouches as needed per stage.

Good luck with whatever you try

Do you want to carry the mags straight up and down, angled, horizontal, etc.  A friend of mine who shoots an Origin 12 uses Bladetech .308 mag holders.  There are some people who use the HSGI large TACO pouches, but mounting them at any angle will require another separate piece, because of the MOLLE mounting.  A&A Targets who manufacture stuff for Saiga/ Vepr guns, sells kydex clips that are held on by industrial strength double side tape.  You just slip the clip under you belt and it stays there.  These are what I use with my Firebird TAC12A1 mags.  Tooth and Nail sells all metal (rather than metal and polymer) mags that come from MKA.