Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610/646

Kimberkid

I am in search of a new revolver and am running into some trouble. I am looking for a 646 in all steel with a 5 or 6 inch barrel. I have a 6.5 inch 610 Classic now that I would be selling to generate funds for my 646. I tried searchin the Smith website and didnt have much luck as it appeara neither the 610 or 646 are currently in production. I like my 610 and dont wanna sell it if I cant find a 646. I know several people have said that the 610 is better for IPSC than the 646 due to being heavier and somehow better suited for recoil. I dont plan to shoot IPSC with this gun, only ICORE with some super light ultra gamer loads. I was shooting my 610 with some 190ish PF stuff, so going to 130 PF loads in a 646 I dont think will be a problem. I guess my questions are as follows....

1. Are 646's and 610's still in being made?

2. Can I get an all steel 646? (all the ones I have seen have been with a titanium cylinder)

3. If so, what are my barrel length options?

4. What should I expect to pay?

5. Comments/suggestions/what do you know that I am missing?

Thanks guys for any info you have.

1. No

2. No, not without replacing the cylinder yourself

3. I've only seen them in 4"

4. Too much

5. Those same light loads won't move a 610 so you will be able to shoot them faster

My opinion, worth what you paid for it

Underlug is correct, Smith discontinued 4" 610's at the end of 2004 and there may be a few on closeout at the wholesale level, but I doubt it. As for the 5" 610 it was discontinued about 3 years ago and very difficult to find. The 646 was a parts gun S&W made up with a pile of leftover frames (or was it leftover TI cylinders) and there were only a few hundred of them with 4" barrels only. The 610 series was a terribly slow seller and the IDPA rule change really killed the tiny demand that had exsisted. Check around the IDPA related classifieds for a used 646 and check with revolver smiths about fitting up a steel cylinder.

Kimberkid,

Whoa-put the brakes on boy!

Test drive that 610 of yours before you let it go. A young stud like you should have no problem running that thing around an ICORE field course or steel challenge.

Mrs Airedale had a 646 for a while and transitioned to a 610 because the 646 was a handful for her (180 gr major loads). She really liked the 610 as more manageable but an N frame is pretty big for her. (She's shooting a moonclipped 586 now)

Dave

Middleman and Underlug are shooting you a straight answer.

S&W only made 900 or so 646 that were not performance center.....

I have 2.....one that I shoot in ICORE, and goofing around with...I really like this gun and had purchased it for IDPA too but the new rules make it a poor choice as major loads really make it jump.

The other has never been fired except by S&W and will stay that way as long as I own it.....maybe in 20 or 30 years I'll think about selling it. ;)

They quit the 610 last year, if you have one of the 4 inch guns they still have a few of the 6 inch barrels, you can change them out.

Speed.....I don't see much difference in transitions betweem my 625 and 646 as it all boils down to the sights any way ;)

My suggestion....load up a bunch of 123,000 PF loads and shoot them in the 610, it won't even wiggle :)

Thanks for the input guys. The thought was that while I dont have a problem with an N frame, I much prefer the L frame. Another reason I should have stated earlier is that my 610 dont move much with 190pf .40 S&W Ultra Mags, so it makes transitioning it a lot like driving a slalom course with a school bus. Ideally I was wanting something that would move a bit with minor loads, but not enough to really be a handful. Sounds like I best keep a hold onto what I have.

Spook,

It is a great gun, smooth action, no recoil, and accurate enough that is hell on 50 yard Bianchi plates. It is just a bit too heavy for what I want. I would trade it in a heartbeat for a 5 inch, but anyone that has a 5 inch wont sell it, and everyone that has a 6.5 wants a 5 inch. A good friend offered me a chance to test drive his 5 inch to make sure I like it, so if I do I am gonna have to find somebody else that has one and beg/plead/cry til they sell it to me.

Kimberkid,

I have a "hankerin" for a 3" 625. I have a 4" 625 that I don't need. I'm going to shorten the barrel. You may want to consider that option. 5" 610s are hard to pry from their owners hands.

Dave