Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Balance / Center of Gravity

I’ve been tinkering with my new MPX and was curious if others consciously work towards a specific center of balance.

I am able to adjust, pretty substantially, where the rifle starts to tip backwards by adjusting where the optic is mounted.

Ive settled basically as close to the center of the magwell as I can with both fully loaded magazine and empty magazine. It does feel different when doing reload drills where the weight is balanced.

I haven’t gotten a chance to really see how dot movement is impacted though.

Any specific thoughts on this? Have any of you played with center of gravity and what have you found?

10fvm1u.jpg

My gun is as light up front as it’s possible to be with 14” of barrel. Turned a CMMG barrel down to .625” and running the 4.6oz Brigand Arms handguard... but I made no attempt to lighten anything else.

It’s 6lb 0.5oz that balances at the magazine release. I really like this setup; very controllable when switching shoulders or reloading, and it swings very fast. But it still weighs enough that recoil is hilariously soft.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
On 8/13/2018 at 1:29 PM, Silverscooby27 said:

Is that mag full? I would think the weight closest to the buttstock would be best so for reloads the weight is closer to your core and it would also be easier to transition faster?

It was not in that picture but when I did load one it moved in cG minimally.

I don't worry about it. I run the gun as I built it.

I certainly don't want to add weight in favor of a different feel in balance, and it's almost impossible to remove weight.

Usually though, when I put one together, the gun feels a wee bit nose heavy and that's fine.