Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alpha-X fit like a glove, til it didn't..

biggulp

Got an STI insert for my Alpha-X, installed it, and my DVC Open dropped in and fit perfectly.  Locking lever was easy to manipulate and draw was buttery smooth over 40 or 50 draws.  Went to my buddy's place on Friday and practiced a bit, and towards the end of the evening (another 30 or 40 draws), the gun no longer fit properly and I had to really force it down into the holster to get the locking lever to work.  To avoid breaking anything, I stopped messing with it til I got home.

Inspected the holster for any obvious issues (junk under the mechanism, etc.,) and didn't see anything.  Removed the insert and still saw nothing except some light rub marks on the front edge where the trigger guard rubbed.  With the insert removed, the gun still didn't fit properly.

Am I missing something incredibly obvious?  Is there a chance that it worked out of the box for ~100 draws but now needs to be fitted?

Thanks for any insight

27 minutes ago, biggulp said:

Got an STI insert for my Alpha-X, installed it, and my DVC Open dropped in and fit perfectly.  Locking lever was easy to manipulate and draw was buttery smooth over 40 or 50 draws.  Went to my buddy's place on Friday and practiced a bit, and towards the end of the evening (another 30 or 40 draws), the gun no longer fit properly and I had to really force it down into the holster to get the locking lever to work.  To avoid breaking anything, I stopped messing with it til I got home.

Inspected the holster for any obvious issues (junk under the mechanism, etc.,) and didn't see anything.  Removed the insert and still saw nothing except some light rub marks on the front edge where the trigger guard rubbed.  With the insert removed, the gun still didn't fit properly.

Am I missing something incredibly obvious?  Is there a chance that it worked out of the box for ~100 draws but now needs to be fitted?

Thanks for any insight

Can you clarify what you mean by no longer fit properly? Did it still slide into the holster without the lock? Was it a slow change to no longer fitting properly or the difference between one draw?

One thing I didn't realize was that the screw for the block needs to be pulled up or it blocks the gun from being holstered. Really silly mistake but easy to overlook if you're new to race holsters like I was.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

11 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Can you clarify what you mean by no longer fit properly? Did it still slide into the holster without the lock? Was it a slow change to no longer fitting properly or the difference between one draw?

One thing I didn't realize was that the screw for the block needs to be pulled up or it blocks the gun from being holstered. Really silly mistake but easy to overlook if you're new to race holsters like I was.

Re-holstering for the first ~100 draws was as simple as line up the trigger guard and slide the gun in with almost no pressure required.  Suddenly, after that ~100th draw, I slid the gun in, and couldn't flip the locking lever down.  Pulled it out, re-holstered, and same thing happened.  Had to REALLY push the gun down and wiggle it a bit to get the lever to flip down.  After visually inspected and testing with the same result when I got home, I stopped messing with it until I could do some research.

Edited by biggulp

1 minute ago, biggulp said:

Re-holstering for the first ~100 draws was as simple as line up the trigger guard and slide the gun in with almost no pressure required.  Suddenly, after that ~100th draw, I slid the gun in, and couldn't flip the locking lever down.  Pulled it out, re-holstered, and same thing happened.  Had to REALLY push the gun down and wiggle it a bit to get the lever the flip down.  After visually inspected and testing with the same result when I got home, I stopped messing with it until I could do some research.

Is the screw that's connected to the block loose? The one that moves up and down. Can you take a picture? 

Edited by SlvrDragon50

When I get home this evening, I'll check. I did check the 2 screws that mount the insert, but didnt think to check that screw that slides up/down to make sure it wasn't loose.

Very much appreciate the help, I'm new to race holsters.

2 minutes ago, biggulp said:

When I get home this evening, I'll check. I did check the 2 screws that mount the insert, but didnt think to check that screw that slides up/down to make sure it wasn't loose.

Very much appreciate the help, I'm new to race holsters.

If I recall correctly, the screw needs to be screwed in a correct amount otherwise the lock won't be able to activate! Unfortunately I can't remember the direction, but this would explain why it didn't lock even when the insert was removed from the holster.

That is certainly odd. I do have a question and two possible theories; albeit the latter of the two it may be way out there: 

First the question: Metal or plastic grip? 

First theory:

* Did any debris get into the mechanism (the block itself). Where the trigger guard fits into the carrier and locks down into itself may have something in it that you can't see. I know you said you inspected it, but maybe use some compressed air and try blowing out the block itself. Maybe there's a spec of sand in there that's mucking everything up? 

Second, possibly a litter far fetched theory:

* If the grip is plastic perhaps the climate changed or just the heat from using the gun caused the grip to swell?? The tolerance on the plastic grips is going to be less that that of a metal grip as they are made from molds vs machining. also metal is much more stable than plastic. 

Just some thoughts. Like I said, maybe far fetched, but you never know.

5 hours ago, COLLINSMITH89 said:

Check the tiny screws on your trigger guard that attach the trigger guard part of your grip to the frame and make sure they are tight, mine backed out just a tiny bit during a match and caused the gun to not lock into my alpha X.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! 

One of the screws on the trigger guard was backed out ever so slightly.  Tightened it back up and the gun now slides in and locks up tight in the holster again.  Not sure how long it would have taken me to check those screws..

Thanks a lot to everyone for the help!