Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building A Gun Vs Buying Built Gun

ahtsay

• 2 weeks later...
But of course, if you have a quarter of a million pesos in budget :o for the gun and the other important stuff like mags, pouches, holsters, etc. Hey, don't let me stop you from getting the best your money can buy. ;)

:D that's how i started out... now i've got a S&W 910, STI open, STI 40, a HK USP... he.. he... at the end of the day... para 16-40's or armscors work the same as STI, HK and S&W... i've found its the shooter that counts...

If you're on a shoe string budget.... get a production gun as its the least expensive to compete... if you fall in love swith the sport, like we have.. there are plenty of limited 40's available out there... just ask a couple of the RO's and/or shooters at the matches.... They're bound to know someone trying to offload a good pistol that's been match tuned etc.. etc...

Regards,

Im considering having it built by True Weight, which means one of the gunsmiths that Roland Tan employs. Have you guys hear anything good about them? I know they are expensive, thats for sure.

-1 there.... there are alot of better smiths out there. To name 2, look at first option and metrillo... and they're alot cheaper... shop around first. and really... 2nd hand isn't a bad thing here... most of the 2nd hand guns from shooters tend to be first rate setups...

.. and flex is right... get to shooting. figure out the other stuff later....

rgds,

I purchased a stock L10 ($900) to really start shooting. I used this for over a year. I replaced:

trigger

hammer

sear

slide stop

safety

disconnector

front sight

mag release

The factory gun was no where near the quality of a professionally built gun.

My second gun was built by a known gunsmith-never regretted the decision

My third gun was built by a known gunsmith-never regretted the decision

My third gun is being built by a known gunsmith-probably will not regret the decision

My fourth gun will be built by a known gunsmith.

If I am going to spend over $1000 for a gun I am going to have a known gunsmith build it. It is worth the money. Read this forums discussions on .40 STI Trojans. Factory built guns need more work than a custom.

Go to Brownells, pick your parts, pick your smith and have them do a bang up job.

It will be a cold day before I buy a factory handgun again.

If I am going to spend over $1000 for a gun I am going to have a known gunsmith build it.  It is worth the money.  Read this forums discussions on .40 STI Trojans.  Factory built guns need more work than a custom.

I agree that with factory guns you have a potential of requiring more work on the gun. Same can go for a *used* gun of either type.

I own one of the mentioned STI .40 Trojans. I bought the pistol used. When you add up all the work I've had done (namely, feed ramp work by Virgil Tripp), and the 6 Tripp mags I've bought for it - I'm *STILL* ahed of the new price of the gun, and far ahead of having one built. However, I still have things I want done to it, and once I'm done with adding a couple of features, and having some cosmetic work done, it'll probably only be a few hundred less than having had a smith build it that way new....

I saw some really nice SVi guns at SpeedShooters...would this be considered a custom gun or is this a factory gun?  :unsure:

Technically, a custom gun would be built to order, with specified parts. Hopefully, with great care with parts properly fit to the task at hand.

Other guns would likely fall into a category called semi-custom. They may (or may not) be built with a similar amount of care and fitting, but the gunsmith/company decides before hand what parts are going into the gun.

Then there is the masses produced stuff...

Glock 17

Production

Get to shooting.  Figure out the rest later.

My advise is most gun builders don't want you to take this advise.

If your new to the sport and the forum ask yourself " Who is this Flexmoney poster, and why should I take his advise ?"

Then do some research and find out...

• 11 months later...
Ah, so your in the Phils. Here's my 2 pesos.

I use a heavily customized Armscor widebody with the critical parts replaced with better aftermarket brands. With the amount of ammo I've shot through it plus the reg fees on matches I've shot with it, I could buy an STI Open gun and a Para with change. That should give you a ball park as to how much I've shot it. And it at this point, I still could not out-shoot it.

This is the sales pitch that led me into building my SAMSCOR hi-cap :ph34r:

NB: SAMSCOR- Shooters (SAM) slide on Armscor frame

Edited by 9MX

Start small finsh big.

Buy a good single stack or Glock and move up if you enjoy the sport and decide to stay with it.

A good Gunsmith can produce a product that is far better than anything you can buy.

That being said STI Edge is a great gun right off the shelf. Needs a magwell but thats about it, and dont overlook buying used.