Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS-6 with 180 grain missouri caste bullets

Jschultz90

Hi im new to reloading and purchased a glock 22 gen 3. I have not found any exact load data on the combo i suggested. The closest i can find is a 175gr lead bullet or a 180gr jacketed bullet. And from what im gathering from reading on here is that lead needs less of a charge so would the charges they recommend for those loads be a good starting point to begin with or should i back it off more than that and just work my way up until im satisfied 

Hi im new to reloading and purchased a glock 22 gen 3. I have not found any exact load data on the combo i suggested. The closest i can find is a 175gr lead bullet or a 180gr jacketed bullet. And from what im gathering from reading on here is that lead needs less of a charge so would the charges they recommend for those loads be a good starting point to begin with or should i back it off more than that and just work my way up until im satisfied 

I suppose my question to you would be, why HS-6?

Sell the HS-6 powser to an open shooter for 9 Major then buy the appropriate powder for your .40 Major load (WST, Win 231, N320, Tight Group, Prima SV, etc).

Powder is cheap, use the correct powder for your loads verses trying to use us “free” powder that is the wrong burn rate.

Sell the HS-6 powser to an open shooter for 9 Major then buy the appropriate powder for your .40 Major load (WST, Win 231, N320, Tight Group, Prima SV, etc).

Powder is cheap, use the correct powder for your loads verses trying to use us “free” powder that is the wrong burn rate.

I was going to go this path but you beat me to it.

It’s hard to convince someone that has wrong powder to get the right powder. Especially when they got it for free.

At a Glock OAL, HS-6 could be bad.

Even if major is not achieved, you’ll have unburnt powder in the gun. You won’t achieve much with HS-6.

4 hours ago, FortyOverUnder said:

I was going to go this path but you beat me to it.

It’s hard to convince someone that has wrong powder to get the right powder. Especially when they got it for free.

At a Glock OAL, HS-6 could be bad.

Even if major is not achieved, you’ll have unburnt powder in the gun. You won’t achieve much with HS-6.

What exactly do you mean by wont achieve much?  Like the gun will fire and everything and i just wont be getting everything out of it that i could be? 

What exactly do you mean by wont achieve much?  Like the gun will fire and everything and i just wont be getting everything out of it that i could be? 

You’d either blow up the gun trying to achieve a clean burn or you’d load it low to where your accuracy would suffer compared to a proper powder.

9 minutes ago, FortyOverUnder said:

You’d either blow up the gun trying to achieve a clean burn or you’d load it low to where your accuracy would suffer compared to a proper powder.

That makes sense. It just frustrating on here sometimes because no matter where you look theres always conflicting opinions on the best powder/bullet combo. Other forums i read said that hs-6 was a great powder for the 40 and also a great powder for beginners to start with to not have to worry about blowing your gun up. So i honestly dont know where to start then lol

The most monkey proof (super hard to blow up your gun) powder I have used in 40 major is Winchester Super Target (WST). If you are new to reloading I would suggest starting with that powder as it’s readily available, fairly cheap, and almost impossible to screw it up with an over charge.

3 hours ago, Jschultz90 said:

Other forums i read said that hs-6 was a great powder for the 40.

It depends on your objective with the gun. In competition shooting sports we want soft recoil which means a fast-burn powder which still is in the sweet spot, pressure wise.

I know you have no idea who Charlie ( @CHA-LEE) is, but trust me when I say that for any information regarding shooting Limited or loading .40... he is a wealth of knowledge. Listen to that man. He has won a lot of major matches in Limited, and blown a few cases out using the wrong powder over the years.

I really like WST, and a bonus is that it also works extremely well for shoft-shooting minor power factor 9mm ammo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

It depends on your objective with the gun. In competition shooting sports we want soft recoil which means a fast-burn powder which still is in the sweet spot, pressure wise.

I know you have no idea who Charlie ( [mention=15819]CHA-LEE[/mention]) is, but trust me when I say that for any information regarding shooting Limited or loading .40... he is a wealth of knowledge. Listen to that man. He has won a lot of major matches in Limited, and blown a few cases out using the wrong powder over the years.

I really like WST, and a bonus is that it also works extremely well for shoft-shooting minor power factor 9mm ammo.

Does L10 count? I won a few of those across the country. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]