Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero v Montana...much bigger price difference now?

walsh

I apologize if this has been discussed a few times. I only noticed a thread from 2007.

Looking at the Rose page, .451 Zero FMJ bullets are in-stock and priced at $125.00/1000

or $481/4000

Montana Gold .45 230 FMJ are priced at $174/1000 and "on sale" at $345/2000 (a price for 4000 is not shown) or $690/4000

There is a thread from 2007 with a few members here stating preferences both ways but to sum-up, I believe the consensus is stating "buy what is available" (Obama's possible election was causing a shortage).

Can anyone reasonably explain what I believe is now a far larger price discrepancy than in 2007?

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

The quality between those 2 vendors is a coin flip, Montana using the more expensive jacket material. In this case i would buy the least expensive. There should be no decernable difference between the performance of the 2 bullets in comparison.

2 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

The quality between those 2 vendors is a coin flip, Montana using the more expensive jacket material. In this case i would buy the least expensive. There should be no decernable difference between the performance of the 2 bullets in comparison.

Not correct. 

MG uses some of the most alloyed material out of the poplular bullet vendors. 

The more gold, and shiny an FMJ looks, the more alloy in the jacket.  The more alloy in the jacket, the cheaper the material. 

7 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Not correct. 

MG uses some of the most alloyed material out of the poplular bullet vendors. 

The more gold, and shiny an FMJ looks, the more alloy in the jacket.  The more alloy in the jacket, the cheaper the material. 

The alloy added to copper to make brass is zink. MG uses a lot of zink to make the jackets a more of a golden color. 

Edited by bowenbuilt

42 minutes ago, bowenbuilt said:

The alloy added to copper to make brass is zink. MG uses a lot of zink to make the jackets a more of a golden color. 

I purchase copper strip for jacketed bullet manufacturing on monthly basis.  I’m very aware of how it is alloyed, the content, and the prices. 

You stated that MG uses more expensive material, I said that is incorrect.  The golden color they are known for is due to the high alloy (yes zinc) content in the material. The more alloy you add, the cheaper the material. It also makes the jacket harder.

So, no, compared to PD and Zero, MG doesn’t use the more expensive jacket material.